Thursday, April 28, 2011

Stuffed Artichokes



Stuffed artichokes are a part of my soul.  We ate them all the time while I was growing and they were always my FAVORITEST THING EVER.  

I have such great memories sitting around the island with my mom, grandma and siblings eating stuffed artichokes.  For some reason, I think my dad wasn't into them.  And maybe my brother wasn't either.  Maybe it is a girl food?  We never ate them as part of a meal.  They were always some random appetizer/snack.  


I am obsessed with food that is a lot of work/takes a long time to eat.  Chicken wings.  Ribs.  Crab legs.  Lobster.  Longans.  Grapefruits.  Pistachios.  And stuffed artichokes.  You sit, pull off the leaves, scrape every last bit off with your teeth, and look for the next loaded leaf.  

This recipe is not my moms.  But it is very close.  Just a little more fancy schmancy.  With the addition of mint (which I left out), anchovies, white wine, crushed red pepper flakes, pines nuts, and lots of lemon.  All you really need to make these are the breadcrumbs and parmesan, anything else is really bonus.  Make sure to cook them until they are really tender.  

BTW, Scot doesn't like food that is a lot work.  Must be a guy thing.  


Stuffed Artichokes
by Anne Burrell via FoodNetwork

2 lemons
4 medium artichokes
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 bunch mint, picked and cut into a chiffonade (I left this out)
1/2 bunch Italian parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted, optional
3 anchovy fillets, minced, optional
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
2 cups white wine

Cook's Note: Before starting this recipe be aware that there is a lot of waste involved in artichokes. It's ok. Just accept it and move on. Squeeze 1 lemon into a large bowl filled with water and place the lemon halves in the water.  (Anne wrote this, she is angry.)

Cut off the pointy tops of the artichokes. Remove and reserve the stem of the artichoke. Peel off the tough green outer leaves and discard.

Gently spread the leaves of the artichoke. Using a melon baller, scoop out the hairy "choke" in the center of the artichokes. When clean reserve them in the lemon water. Remove the tough outer skin on the stems and reserve them in the lemon water as well.

In a small bowl combine the garlic, herbs, Parmesan, bread crumbs, crushed red pepper, pine nuts and anchovies, if using. Finely chop the reserved artichoke stems and add them to the bowl. Zest and juice the remaining lemon and add that to the bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until the mixture forms a paste. Season with salt.

Stuff the artichokes with the paste.

Place the artichokes standing up in a saucepan large enough to accommodate them. Add the wine to the saucepan and enough lemon water to come 3/4 up the sides of the artichokes. Add the lemon halves to the pan also. Drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt.

Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes (I think longer than this is better, 30-45 min.) or until the base of the artichokes are tender when poked with a fork.

Serve hot or room temperature drizzled with generous amount of olive oil.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 45 min., Cook time: 20 min +, Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  6/10
Effort:  3/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

3 comments:

  1. We are foodie soul sisters. It's a fact. Artichokes are and have always been my absolute fav food of all times. Every year since I can remember, my parents would make me or I would cook myself steamed artichokes for my birthday dinner. Heavenly. Nothing better. Now that there's such a thing as stuffed artichokes, you bet your bottom dollar I'll be making these SOON. (minus the anchovies) :) Thanks for posting yet another totally inspiring meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only made stuffed artichokes once, but they were truly fantastic - I need to do it again! Thanks for the reminder! My husband would love them with the anchovies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed artichokes... but my wife doesn't like the smell of them when they're cooking... I just requested them for Fathers Day. Our Daughters said 'Good Luck'... Haven't been shot down yet... She Loves Me!

    ReplyDelete