Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Macleid's Rockcastle Chili


What!?!?  Chili?  I know it is weird.  What is weirder is that I ended up making it on the hottest day so far this year.  Whoops!  Everyone loves to eat chili and sweat a little.  

Actually, I am looking for a good chili recipe for this Fall.  For a soup bar for my sis-in-law's wedding.  She claims that the groom considers chili one of the five food groups.  Therefore, my number one goal is to make a form of chili that he likes.  I know a bit about his dietary preferences.  And I know he loves beans and beer.  When I saw this recipe, I thought it might be perfect.  

The chili is a nice change from the traditional tomato chili (which is usually my favorite, go to chili).  While it still has tomatoes in it, it doesn't have a lot .  


Macleid’s Rockcastle Chili
from Joy of Cooking

Cook in a large skillet until the cracklings are golden brown:

8 ounces of bacon, diced

Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon. Cook briefly in the drippings:

1.5 pounds beef round steak, coarsely ground or chopped in food processor
6-12 large cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
2 large onions, coarsely chopped

Add, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, and stir until the foam disappears:

One 12-ounce bottle dark beer

Remove all to a Dutch oven or other large pot. Stir in:

One 32-ounce can whole tomatoes, with their juice
One 16-ounce can kidney beans, with their liquid
One 16-ounce can Great Northern beans, with their liquid
One 16-ounce can pinto beans, with their liquid
6 tablespoons ancho chile powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
1.5 cups water or one 12-ounce bottle dark beer

Simmer for about 3 hours, covered, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.  Season to taste with:

Salt and black pepper
Hot pepper sauce

(Servings: 8-10, Prep time: 45 min., Cook time: 3 hrs., Difficulty: Easy)

3 comments:

  1. Yes! I love adding beer to chili recipes. This looks amazing and I've been hankering to make some cornbread...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific post. I love the recipe and your photos of the finished chili. I took some time to read your earlier posts. I really like your recipes and the over-all tone of your blog. I'll be back. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete