Sunday, May 8, 2011

Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Peppers



As I've mentioned before, my mom loves all things stuffed.  I grew up eating stuffed squash, stuffed peppers, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed artichokes, stuffed everything!  In honor of my mom on Mother's day, I thought this would be a very appropriate recipe to share.  This recipe comes from Cara's Cravings.  It is delicious, healthy and pretty easy to throw together, like so many of Cara's recipes are.  

I loved the flavors of the "stuffing", which includes ground turkey (I used ground turkey thighs, which I would recommend), artichoke hearts, cottage cheese, bulgar and some Romano cheese and fresh herbs.  The stuffing isn't the kind that will hold together once you slice open the pepper.  Scot had some issues with this.  He likes things that are easy to eat.  I didn't have a problem with this because it was so amazingly delicious.  And I like things that are difficult to eat.  I love this meal.  I strongly encourage you all to make it.  It is one of those meals that I can't imagine anyone wouldn't like.  


Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Peppers

1/4 cup (40gm) bulgur
4 large red bell peppers
1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 15oz can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, and chopped
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 oz grated pecorino romano cheese, divided
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce (preferrably all-natural, lowfat)

In a small saucepan, combine the bulgur with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, until water is absorbed. Set aside. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully cut the stems from the peppers and remove the seeds and inner ribs. Cook the peppers in boiling water for about 5 minutes; drain and let cool.

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cook the ground turkey, onion, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat, stirring to break up the ground turkey, until browned. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Add the chopped artichoke hearts and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from heat.

In a bowl, combine the ground turkey mixture, cooked bulgur, cottage cheese, basil, parsley, and 3/4 of the pecorino romano cheese; mix well.

Spray an 8x8" baking dish or small casserole. Fill the peppers with the turkey mixture, packing the stuffing in well. Place the peppers in the baking dish and spoon the spaghetti sauce over. Sprinkle with remaining pecorino romano.

Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 25 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  9/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

2 comments:

  1. Uh, YUM! :) I'm a stuffed pepper fiend; these are a whole different flavor combo than I'd usually make which makes me think I'd love 'em :). As soon as my peppers ripen I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete