Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sweet Potato-Chicken Hash with Poached Eggs and Green Chile Hollandaise


Hi.  I missed you.  Actually, not really.  Is that bad?  Should I just lie about things like that?  Ok, I kinda did.  But not enough to cry about it.

I apologize for my vacay from the blog.  I was having a blast.  Which apparently can be very distracting.  I have about 85 recipes to post in order to catch up.

Here is one of them.  I made this for Scot's birthday brunch.  There was no doubt in my mind that he would love the heck out of this brunch dish.  After he took his first bite, and proclaimed his love, I booyeah'ed at least 3 times in my head.  It is important to stay grounded.

I would explain what is in this, but actually Bobby's title says it all.  It is a perfect sweet potato dish for me too.  I like when sweet potatoes are savory with a hint of their natural sweetness.  And adding spice is ideal.  I guess this is a brunch item at Bobby Flay's restaurant, which is why it uses 160 pots and pans and also why there is tons of prep.  It is definitely a restaurant type meal, but nice to make for a special occasion.  I didn't patty the hash up, like it says in the recipe.  In fact, the hash is particularly patty-able.  I just cooked it all loose in a big skillet and served it in mini cast irons skillets.  Makes sense.  


Sweet Potato-Chicken Hash with Poached Eggs and Green Chile Hollandaise
by Bobby Flay via FoodNetwork

2 large sweet potatoes
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup canned chipotle peppers
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups water
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
4 eggs

To prepare the hash: In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes, peel and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and place in a saucepan of simmering water. Poach for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. Cut each breast into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the potatoes, chicken, scallion, cilantro, chipotles and honey in a large bowl and mix gently until combined, season with salt and pepper. Form into 4 equal-sized patties. Heat the oil in a large saute pan until just smoking. Season the patties with salt and pepper to taste and saute the patties on each side until golden brown. Keep warm.

To prepare the poached eggs: Heat the water and vinegar until simmering in a large frying pan. Break each egg into a cup and gently add to the water. Poach for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the yolk is nearly cooked. Remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon to drain the liquid and top each hash patty with 1 poached egg.

Green Chile Hollandaise

3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch white pepper
1 large poblano pepper, roasted, skinned, seeds removed and finely chopped
1 stick unsalted butter, melted until foamy

Place the yolks, salt, pepper in a blender and mix until smooth. Slowly, drop by drop add the warm butter to the mixture and blend until emulsified. Place in a bowl and fold in the chopped poblano peppers. Serve immediately or place the bowl over a pot of simmering water to keep warm, stirring occasionally.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 1 hr., Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Intermediate)


foodforscot Ratings:  

Shanon (taste) :  9/10
Scot (taste):  10/10
Effort:  4/5
Dishwashing Effort:  4/5

3 comments:

  1. IIIIII missed you! I'm gonna make this fo realz. But maybe with scrambled eggs cause I'm 5 and still can't handle anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smile. This is what vacations should be about...having a great time and leaving everything else at home! This hash looks so tasty, and I'm sure that Scott LOVED it. I wish I had a plateful right now! Thanks for sharing, my friend. I hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up too - on reading! This sounds excellent, my kind of dish too!

    ReplyDelete