Monday, August 29, 2011

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies



I have been kind of all over the place lately.  Probably 7 out of the past 8 weeks, I have been without my own kitchen.  Or without my kitchen stuff.  So, I have borrowed plenty of people's kitchens.  And made lots of salads and sandwiches.  And smoothies, because for some reason a blender was one of the kitchen tools I have kept by my side (and my knives, which now go everywhere with me).  Now, I am finally back at home.  With all my kitchen gear.  I was so ready to cook and eat real food.  And eat whatever I want.  And to eat VEGETABLES!  Summer is almost over!  Ahhhh!

Unfortunately, Hurricane Irene has left us without power...in our kitchen.  We are pretty lucky since tons of people have no power at all.  We live by a main road so we got our power turned back on right away.  However, there is some damage and our whole house is only getting half the power.  We will just be using our grill and eating all the delicious fresh produce available right now.  The tomatoes are completing my life.  Why can't someone invent a way to eat summer tomatoes all year round?

Anyways, I just returned home from one heck of a wedding celebration.  Weddings are somewhat life-changing.  Each one in their own way.  I love participating in a close friend's wedding and then meeting all of her close friends and family.  I feel like weddings make me love people again.  And relationships.  


I made these cookies for the bridal shower.  Although the entire menu for the shower was inspired by the bride (lots of comfort food), these cookies were my own selfish preference.  During the shower and bachelorette party, everyone was raving about the other options (Cookie Dough Truffles and Lemon Poppyseed Cookies) and it seemed to me that many people didn't even try the oatmeal cookies.  However, I couldn't stop thinking about them.  I normally can control myself around sweets.  I usually get sick of whatever I make after eating it once or twice.  But I probably ate at least 15 of these cookies.  I gave some to Scot's grandparents when we went over there for dinner.  They ate them the next morning (for breakfast, which by the way is an excellent idea).  Grandma R. called me up immediately after finishing off the entire batch I gave her and said they are the best thing ever.  I had a similar (somewhat emotional) reaction myself, so I was so glad to share the same taste with Grandma R.  

These are a soft oatmeal cookie with butterscotch chips, toffee bits, and a little shredded coconut.  They have some flour in them which I find essential for soft, chewy, non-flat oatmeal cookies.  One of my favorite cookies in a long time.  


Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
originally from Taylor Takes a Taste via Annie’s Eats

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup toffee bits

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Stir to blend, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars and beat on medium-high speed until light and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg until incorporated. Blend in the vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. With a spatula, fold in the oats, coconut, butterscotch chips and toffee bits until evenly combined.

Drop scoops of dough (about 2 tablespoons each) onto the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just set and light golden, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cool on the pans about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

(Servings: 24 cookies, Prep time: 30 min., Bake time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  10/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

2 comments:

  1. I hate being away from my kitchen...and I've had a few long spells like you have. I'm glad to see you were able to make these delicious cookies though! What a great bridal shower eat. Thank you for making me smile before I head off to work. I hope you are having a beautiful Wednesday morning. As always, it was a pleasure to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I love following your food blog and getting inspired to make nummy stuff, but I hit a bit of a kerfluffle. If the amount of oats needed is one and a half cups, can you write it as 1 1/2? I just used 11/2 cups of oats (five and a half cups) and my cookies look nothing like yours. :D Thank you for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete