Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies


Scot and I baked up some cookies and bars for some of the people in our lives that truly deserved a treat.  Including late mother's day gifts (Sundays are not good for shipping) and some for great friends!  We made four different cookies/bars and these were my favorite.  I will try to the post the others! 


While these were baking, I kept going on and on to Scot about how cute they were.  I really loved these.  They have kind of a muffin texture.  And I didn't adjust for altitude, because I never have any problems with muffins, so I thought they would be fine.  And they were.  They baked up so nicely.  

If you have never made a powdered sugar glaze, it is really easy...but there are not exact measurements.  You just need to start with the powdered sugar, add the liquid, mix around and add more liquid to get the thickness you want.  I made mine pretty thin, because I don't like too much of it to stick to the cookie.  I think it makes it too sweet.  But the thicker it is, the more the cookie will get.


And this recipe used the zest of 6 lemons!  Woah!  Lemons don't last that long after you zest them, so I made some lemonade with all the zested lemons.  You don't want to waste all that lemon juice, so just plan something to use it up within a few days.



Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies

For the cookies:
11/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp. lemon zest
1 large egg

For the glaze:
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the lemon zest and egg until blended. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed just until incorporated.

Drop balls of dough (I used a 2 tsp dough scoop) onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are set and just beginning to brown at the edges (do not let the tops brown). Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack set over wax paper to cool a bit before glazing.

To make the glaze, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add more lemon juice if necessary, just until the glaze has reached a consistency good for drizzling over the cookies. Glaze the cookies and let the glaze set before serving. Store in an airtight container.
  
(Servings: 18-24 cookies, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)

2 comments:

  1. I just love your blog...it's one of my favorites. I bought some poppy seeds last week to make muffins, and I have enough left over to give these cookies a try. You and Scot remind me of my husband and me. I wish we could all get together to bake/eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite cookie!!! So glad you posted the recipe and so thankful you sent some to us!

    ReplyDelete