Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pea & Edamame Ravioli with Baked Ricotta and Toasted Walnuts



I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO MAKE THIS FOR FOREVER!  

No seriously.  I have been putting if off only for two reasons:

1.  The recipe for the filling makes a lot...of filling.  And halving it just leaves you with two half bags of frozen peas and edamame.  So, I have been wanting to make the crostini version of this meal first (crostini with the pea and edamame spread and baked ricotta) so that I could use all the filling in two ways.
2.  I need a sous chef.  


Whenever I make ravioli, especially with wonton wrappers, I always wish I had a sous chef.  I think sometimes people think that if you like to cook, then making dinner is all fun and games.  But for me, about 80% of time, I am running late.  Or it is like 9:30 pm and eating dinner at 10 pm is just wrong.  Or I am so hungry that I have to eat 2 pickles while cooking.  

I made an entire package of wonton wrappers into raviolis.  We ate 15-20 and froze the rest because ravioli is great from frozen since you can still cook it the same way as you would fresh (just boil it longer).  If you just make enough for 1 or 2 servings, it is pretty quick actually.  


The point is that I loved this meal more than I even expected.  The filling is delicious on its own.  But in ravioli form with the baked ricotta (yum, btw) and toasted walnuts with a butter sauce.  Shoot.  


Pea & Edamame Ravioli with Baked Ricotta and Toasted Walnuts
by Cara from Cara’s Cravings

1 16oz. package frozen peas
1 12oz. package frozen, shelled edamame
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 to 2 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
freshly ground salt, to taste
1/4 cup snipped fresh mint (I did not use)
1 package of wonton wrappers
ricotta cheese, drained for a few hours, 10 oz. is enough for 4 servings (I left it in a
fine mesh sieve over a bowl in the fridge while I went to work all day)
butter, about 1 tablespoon per serving
chicken broth, about 1/2 cup per serving
walnuts, lightly toasted
thinly sliced fresh mint (I did not use)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the peas and edamame for about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving some of the cooking water (I just put the peas and edamame into a big bowl and microwaved it for about 5-10 minutes). Transfer to a food processor, and puree, adding water if needed to reach a creamy consistency. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a small skillet and cook the garlic until lightly browned and tender. Fold into pureed peas along with the lemon, pepper, salt and mint.

Prepare the raviolis by spooning a small amount of the pea and edamame puree onto each wonton wrapper. Wet the edges and press together into a triangle. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place a sheet of foil on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the ricotta the baking sheet, spreading it into a disk. Spray with olive oil spray and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned, and set aside. It will firm up a bit as it cools.

Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil, and heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the ravioli until tender, about 5 minutes. Let the butter become foamy and lightly browned; you'll know it's ready when it's it smells slightly nutty. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Remove the ravioli from the water and add to skillet with the browned butter sauce; stir and saute briefly.

Plate the ravioli and crumble the ricotta cheese over it. Top with the toasted walnuts and chopped mint.

(Servings: 8, Prep time: 1 hr., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:  

Shanon (taste):  9/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  4/5
Dishwashing Effort:  3/5

3 comments:

  1. It made my day to see this pop up in my reader! Glad to know you like this dish as much as we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... who could be your sous chef... hmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  3. my first thought was copper, but he has no thumbs.

    ReplyDelete