Monday, October 31, 2011

Oatmeal Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies



Halloween.  Is today.  My dog is sleeping next to me and still wearing his pumpkin shirt.  He was supposed to be an alien, but I don't know if that ever happened.  

Fall has been weird this year.  I have been waiting on the edge of my seat for the colors to change.  Then, it happened.  And I am pretty sure I missed it.  Here is the only (semi decent) pic we have of the fall colors.


And then this happened (slightly different angle, but same spot more or less).


And before any of that happened, I was filling every second of my free time with Broadway shows.  I am not complaining, but weird October.  

I wouldn't say I did pumpkin justice this October (and I know I still have November), but I did make these cookies.  Ever since the pumpkin shortage several years ago, I am incapable of buying only one can of pumpkin puree.  So, I had all these ingredients on hand when I scheming up this mixture of oatmeal and pumpkin.  Yes, I am obsessed with oatmeal everything.  

I am also obsessed with pumpkin and chocolate together.  We have a local ice cream place that sells delicious pumpkin ice cream and I get it combined with the chocolate ice cream.  Not mixed.  Just side by side.  


Anyways, make sure you use extra fancy cinnamon.  Vietnamese cinnamon, that is.  These really won't turn out without it.  

Oatmeal Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Simply Recipes

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cups whole wheat flour
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semi-sweet chips

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Add the egg, vanilla, and pumpkin puree and beat for another 3 minutes.

In a separate bowl combine the flours, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and whisk together. Slowly add it to the butter mixture until just combined, being sure to scrape down the sides and bottom once or twice to ensure even mixing.

Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips. Drop spoonfuls of dough on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool on the tray for a minute or two to set, then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.

(Servings: 48 cookies, Prep time: 30 min., Bake time: 1 hr, Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  3/5

1 comment:

  1. This looks perfect in my book. I'm also a huge fan of pumpkin and chocolate. Thank you for sharing another delicious and tempting treat with me. It was a nice way to begin my morning...now if only I could bake all day and not go to work. Many blessings and hopes for a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete