Thursday, October 27, 2011

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos



If there is a taco recipe out there, I will probably try it.  If the taco looks like Halloween, I will probably try it in October.  

I will also put goat cheese on it.  Seriously, everything time I am involved, I add goat cheese.  When my sister ate these, she said "the goat cheese really makes it."  I sighed.  Doesn't it always?  

Halloween is coming up so I am supposed to making/posting ghost cupcakes and spider cookies.  But guess what?  That isn't my thing.  My kids will eat these tacos and I will pass out tooth paste on Halloween.  Or pennies.  No, jk.  I like candy.  My favorite is candy corn.  Only the yellow, orange and white ones.  No others.  And definitely not the dirty pumpkins.  

This reminds me of my friend (R^2/R) who LOVES the pumpkins.  He knows their official name, which is "mellow creme pumpkins".  True fan right there.  I should probably buy some halloween candy.  I oscillate between adult and teenager on an annual basis.  Next year I will totally have the candy bought at least two weeks in advance.  

Or at least a week.  


Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos

For the Potatoes:
2 sweet potatoes (really orange-fleshed yams), peeled and cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and red chili flakes to taste
juice of 1 lime

For the Cabbage Slaw:
2 heaping cups shredded cabbage (I used a combination of purple and green
cabbage)
1/4 cup finely diced yellow onions
2 heaping tablespoons chopped cilantro
juice of 2 limes
salt and red chili flakes to taste

For the Beans:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
juice of 1 lime
small corn tortillas

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place peeled and diced sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet. Top with olive oil, salt and chili flakes, and lime juice. Toss together until all of the potato chunks are coated. Place in the oven to bake until softened through and toasted brown. This usually takes about 40 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet once or twice during baking to toss the potato chunks around. This will ensure that the cubes cook evenly. Remove from the oven and let stand when cooked through.

While the potatoes cook, assemble the Cabbage Slaw. In a medium bowl, place cabbage, yellow, and chopped cilantro. Add lime juice, salt and chili flakes. Toss to coat and set aside while the potatoes cook and beans heat. Letting the cabbage slaw sit will help soften the cabbage.

To cook the beans, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add ground cumin and stir until fragrant.  Add beans and lime juice. Cook until heated through.

Heat corn tortillas in a hot saucepan with just a touch of oil. Heat through and serve with potatoes, beans, and slaw.

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 40 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment