Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage



All I want to do is write about my dog.  But I am trying to stay focused here.  Pasta.  Broccoli Rabe.  Sausage.  Mix.  Eat.

That is really all there is to this recipe, which is why I like it.  In order to eat bitter greens like broccoli rabe, it is all about pairing it with something uber savory, salty and/or creamy.  Fat works too.  As you have probably noticed, lately I am all about quick and easy meals like this.  

Buy good, fresh sausage.  :D

Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage

1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed and cut into bite size pieces
1 lb. broccoli rabe, blanched (see below)
1 cup broccoli rabe water (see below)
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. pasta
Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese

Bring a pot of water to boil for cooking the pasta.

Heat oil and add garlic in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sausages and sauté until meat is cooked and loses its raw look. Add blanched broccoli rabe.  Add rabe water and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the contents are hot.

Meanwhile, cook pasta rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Place over medium-high heat and stir in 3/4 cup of broccoli rabe and sausage sauce. Using a wooden spoon, toss together for 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour into a large serving platter or bowl. Spoon remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese.

Blanched Broccoli Rabe – (2 bunches)

Wash and dry broccoli rabe. Place broccoli rabe in a deep saucepan with cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring just to a simmer over high heat. As soon as bubbles appear at the sides of the pan, remove it from the heat. Reserve cooking water. Immediately place broccoli rabe in cold water to stop the cooking process. When broccoli rabe is cool, drain well in a colander and pat dry. Chop broccoli rabe into 2-3 inch pieces.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  6/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  3/5
Dishwashing Effort:  3/5

4 comments:

  1. My comments never post!!!
    So frustrating...is it me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great now it posted...what I wanted to say is that this recipe is one I will try...looks yummy...

    But...more important...

    Is your dog ok?

    Write about him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi patty! seems like lots of people have had some trouble posting comments here. i just created a new facebook page to give another way to communicate. i have also fixed up the blog, so hopefully that will help! and no worries, my dog is just great! i will write more about him. :) and sorry for this this incredibly late response. happy new year!

      http://www.facebook.com/foodforscot

      Delete
  3. I can relate! Sometimes all I want to do is write about my cat! With colder days and nights, I find myself wanting to be in the kitchen more and more. Thank you for giving me another recipe to try. I hope you are enjoying the bustle of the season. Much love from Austin.

    ReplyDelete