Sunday, January 17, 2010

BBQ Meatloaf with Spicy Corn Fritters and Maple, Dijon Brussel Sprouts




Meatloaf!!! I have been thinking about making a loaf of meat for about half a year. Obviously avoiding it because we all know meatloaf isn't the most sought after dish. I had meatloaf growing up. I never hated it, never loved it. Mom, no offense. I mean, meatloaf is just meatloaf. It is easy. Quick. Cheap. Does the job. So anyway, I haven't really had it for a LONG time. I thought I would find an interesting recipe and give it a shot. See how bad or good it really is. Result: pretty decent! It had great reviews...people were drooling over it. Scot loved it, obv. From now on, I probably will only tell you when he doesn't like something. He loves everything. It's great. Even when I mess up, burn things, drop something of the floor or throw something against the wall out of rage. As a last resort, I always have Copper. Actually, I take that back, Copper is definitely more picky than Scot. I always have Scot, then.


Back on track. In addition to the BBQ meatloaf, I have been searching for a corn fritter recipe. When I was young (maybe in 4th or 5th grade), I made a meal "by myself" for my family. I remember exactly what it was: pork tenderloin, corn fritters, green beans and a mousse type dessert. I got the entire meal from an American Girl dolls cookbook and it was supposed to be a meal that a particular doll (I think Molly) would eat in the period she lived in. It was probably the first thing I ever cooked. I don't remember if it was good or anything, but I do remember really liking the corn fritters. So, I tried to find the recipe. And, I found that there actually aren't that many corn fritter recipes out there, especially like the one I remembered. But then, I found this one woman who referenced the American Girl fritters in her blog and a recipe with it! The recipe is not the same one in the cookbook, but is delicious. She says the recipe from the cookbook is actually kind of toned down, kid-friendly, so she spiced it up for adults. And that is what I made tonight. And all you vegetarians out there (Jen), corn fritters/fritters should be a staple for you! They are great.


To round out the meal, I made some brussel sprouts. I make them all the time, just roast them with some bacon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Since I am into the food blogs now, I found a simple recipe for roasted brussel sprouts tossed with a maple, dijon vinaigrette and toasted almonds. Since it's Sunday, I fig'ed, why not? So, three new recipes in one Sunday blog. Sorry if this is overwhelming but all three recipes are pretty simple.

As for tips, I would like to stress that I didn't measure any of the ingredients in these recipes except the polenta/water ratio. It just isn't worth it. But, as we all know, I am quite the risk taker.

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen modified by Shanon

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1 onion, grated using box grater
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together the beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce. Form this mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan. Stir together the remaining tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and the water (if too thick). Pour this sauce over the meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices.

From www.kitchenist.com modified by Shanon

Ingredients


½ cup corn (fresh is best, next best is frozen)
juice of 1 lime
3 finely chopped green onions
1 Tbs. chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

1/4 tsp. ground coriander

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

1 1/3 cup water

1/3 cup polenta or cornmeal (the quick-cooking kind)

vegetable or other light oil, for frying

1. Mix together the corn, lime juice onion, coriander, salt and spices together in a small bowl and set aside.


2. Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the polenta in a steady stream and mix with a whisk for about 2 minutes, until thickened.


3. Remove the polenta from the heat and stir in the corn mixture. Set aside to cool slightly. Line a plate with paper towels and set next to the stove.


4. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. When hot, spoon in generous tablespoonfuls of batter and flatten slightly with a spoon. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, then remove to the towel-lined plate. Serve hot, with any spicy dipping sauce that you like.

from Closet Cooking modified by Shanon

(makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
1-2 pounds brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1 small clove garlic (grated)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup almond slices (toasted)

Directions:

1. Toss the brussels sprouts in the oil along with the salt and pepper.
2. Arrange the brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3. Roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, flipping them once in between, about 30 minutes.
4. Mix the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustards, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
5. Toss the brussels sprouts and almonds in the maple dijon vinaigrette (you may not need it all).

Printable Version (all in one)

2 comments:

  1. Ma! The Meatloaf! Looks great, Shan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm i love anything with corn in it. oh my american girl dolls.

    ReplyDelete