Thursday, June 3, 2010

Roasted Corn and Poblano Polenta with Cumin and Chili Shrimp


I saw this recipe on a new blog that I recently found, elly says opa.  I knew right away that Scot would love this dish.  It has all his favorite things.  He loves Mexican flavors, especially the flavor of corn.  

The idea of transforming a normally Italian polenta dish into something Mexican is pure genius.  I mean, the corn flavor of polenta pairs so well with Mexican.  

I love freshly roasted peppers.  Even though I do use jarred roasted red peppers to speed up a week night meal...roasting them yourself is amazing.  I have never seen other varieties of jarred roasted peppers, so most of the time I have to roast them, anyways.  But they take on a whole new thang.  SO good.  In fact, I used two poblano peppers instead of one, as the original recipe suggested.

We had this polenta with cumin and chili shrimp, as Elly suggested.  Just season cleaned shrimp with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin.  Then, saute in a little oil over medium-high heat, 1-2 minutes per side. 

Lastly, the cheese is really optional.  I only added it because I already shredded it.  But, taste the polenta without it.  It is so creamy and delicious.  It doesn't need it at all.  


Roasted Corn & Poblano Polenta
adapted from elly says opa

2 poblano peppers
3/4 cup roasted corn (approximately 2 ears of fresh corn)
2 tsp. butter
1 clove garlic, grated
1-2/3 to 2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you want the polenta)
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup (1 oz.) cheddar or Monterey jack cheese (optional)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375° F. If using fresh, cut kernels off of ears of corn. Spread kernels in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes.

Turn oven to broiler setting, char the poblano peppers on all sides, until the skin is blistery and black. Put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Once cooled, peel and dice.

(Alternatively, you can roast the corn and the poblano peppers on the grill.)

Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir until just fragrant. Stir in the chicken broth, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil.

Slowly whisk in the polenta - it will absorb the liquid almost immediately. Add the diced poblano and corn. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring frequently, until cooked, about 10-15 minutes.

Off the heat, stir in the cheese and re-season if necessary. Serve immediately.

(Servings: 2, Prep time: 45 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)

4 comments:

  1. This polenta looks fantastic! I love how much bold flavor is in what is usually a kind of bland afterthought side dish (in my house anyway). My husband is allergic to shrimp, but I'm thinking it might be almost as good with some grilled chiicken. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing polenta dish. I can only imagine how good this must taste. Such vibrant flavors and such a beautiful yellow hue. Thank you for sharing another great vegetarian dinner idea, Shanon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasting my own peppers...but mainly because it means I get to stand over the stove with the pepper on a skewer. It makes me feel like I'm camping or something. And I'm not really a camper kind of girl. But when I get to do it from the comfort of my own kitchen, I'm all for it! This polenta sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That polenta sounds really tasty. I am looking forward to corn season!

    ReplyDelete