Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Prosciutto Wrapped Figs and Blue Cheese



When I ate one of these for the first time, I cursed in my head.  If there is a more perfect bite in the world, I don't even want to know.  

I need to tell you something.  I am not really fancy.  But I pretend to be.  And for the longest time, I was intimidated by fancy ingredients.  I have always been frugal.  And even though most people probably wouldn't consider me frugal nowadays, I used to be hardcore (and I have gradually loosened up as I have gotten older...and richer).  I used to question buying Green Giant canned green beans or just go with the Kroeger brand.  I used to think it was frivolous to buy deli meat at the deli counter rather than the prepackaged deli "meat".  And I used to buy frozen chicken breasts in those zippy bags.  So believe me, I have been there.  

For those of you who worry and budget and stress about your grocery bill, have no fear.  I am here to tell you that fancy food does not need to be expensive.  I know I go on and on about Whole Foods, but it is my favorite place on earth.  It is what inspired me to make these...because Black Mission Figs just started showing up.  And are on sale.  $3.99/lb.  The nice thing about Whole Foods is that you can always buy exactly how much you want.  This is what it came to for me:

Figs:  $3 
Prosciutto:  $4
Goat's milk blue cheese (amazing):  $2.50

I know it ain't no pigs in a blanket...$3 for 30 people-kind of appetizer.  But it isn't as scary as I once thought.  

Don't go crazy with the prosciutto.  Ask for it to be sliced as thin as possible.  I don't like it to completely cover the fig, because then it just tastes like pork fat.  Share with bro-in-law over skype.  


Prosciutto Wrapped Figs and Blue Cheese
recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello via FoodNetwork

8 Black Mission figs
1/2 cup blue cheese, cut into cubes
8 prosciutto (thinly sliced, cut in half lengthwise)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat grill. You will need medium to high heat for grilling. The key is to crisp the prosciutto quickly and leave the blue cheese just melted with the inner part of the fig cool in temperature.

Cut the figs in half and place a piece of blue cheese on each fig half. Wrap the prosciutto around each fig half, covering the cheese. The ends of the prosciutto should overlap.

Grill each piece until the prosciutto begins to color and crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill, lightly drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Serve warm.

(Servings: 4-8, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 10 min. Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  10/10
Scot (taste):  9/10
Effort:  1/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

1 comment:

  1. Whole Foods is my favorite place too...and you are right...good food doesn't have to be expensive. This looks so delicious! And thanks for making me smile tonight (you always do), and I hope you are having a week full of love and joy. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete