Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Texas Caviar



I had never heard of Texas Cavier until a few months ago when TWO different friends brought it to TWO different potluck events.  Good story.  But the truth is:  this stuff is wicked good.

Might as well just call it black-eyed pea de gallo.  It is really your typical pico but with beans!  The Texas Caviar that is pictured here has some random additions that I just threw in to use stuff up (black beans and corn...and some tomato).  But, I have since made the exact recipe below and it is a wonderful combination.  In reality, you can throw whatever veg. you want in with the beans.  

I personally believe that black eyed peas are the most delicious bean out there.  Everywhere like such as.  I have recently discovered that I am a lover of white-ish beans.  Including but not limited to black eyed peas, cannellini beans, great northern beans, navy beans, and lima beans.  And edamame.  So, I guess I like green too.  I know you were all dying to know what my favorite beans were.  

PS:  This is also known as Cowboy Caviar.  I'd like to avoid conflict with Texas, so I will give this to them.  Oh yeah, and I don't care.   


Texas Caviar
adapted from Allrecipes

2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup diced jicama
2 fresh medium jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced
1/2 small red onion, cut into small dice
1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
1 bunch cilantro, minced
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar or lime juice
6 tablespoons light cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 2 days. Before serving, adjust seasonings to taste, adding extra vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.

(Servings; 8-10, Prep time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

1 comment:

  1. Smile. I love Texas Caviar. Thank you for sharing your sweet self with me today. I'm smiling (and I'm hungry now!) I need to read your blog after I've had dinner :-) I hope you have a fabulous end to your week. Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete