Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Parmesan Crusted Grilled Turkey Sandwich


A sandwich is one of my number one favorite foods ever.  We have them all the time.  And I hate how sandwich night is so hated on.  If done right, sandwich night is like totally the best thing ever.  Duh.

This is one of my oldest creations.  I didn't make this up but I am going to pretend I did.  But I did originally make this when I was 16.  Because that was when I was a cook at IHOP.  They only hire the best.  

The kicker here is that instead of just buttering the bread, you also sprinkle some parm on top of the butter!  Then, inside you have some grilled turkey, cheddar cheese, thousand island dressing, tomatoes and red onion.  It is a classic combination.  

I always grill my deli meat when I make grilled sandwiches.  I mean you have to.  And, when grilling the sandwich, always start with it open, add the ingredients and closer 'er up after a few minutes.  That's how the pros do it, guys.  And if you have a nice big two burner grill pan, you can just do this all at once.


Parmesan Crusted Grilled Turkey Sandwich

2 slices of sandwich bread
butter
2 tbsp of grated parmesan
2 slices of cheddar cheese
olive oil
2-3 slices of deli turkey
1 tbsp of 1000 Island dressing
2 slices of tomato
a couple of thinly sliced rings of red onion

Butter both slices of bread. Sprinkle the buttered side with the grated parmesan and press into the bread slightly.

Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium high heat. Drizzle in a little olive oil and add the turkey. Grill until warmed through and some browning occurs. Remove from pan and set aside.

Place both slices of bread in the skillet, butter and parm side down. Put cheddar cheese slices on each piece. On one piece of bread, add dressing, grilled turkey, tomato and red onion. After the bread has been grilling for about 2-4 minutes, sandwich the bread that only has the cheese on with the rest. Cook, flipping occasionally, for 3-5 more minutes until warmed through and golden brown.

(Servings; 1, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 10 min., Difficulty: Easy)

1 comment:

  1. What a genius idea...my grilled veggie sandwiches are about to be elevated to the next level!

    ReplyDelete