Monday, July 26, 2010

Balsamified Tomato, Olive and Basil Topping for Bruschetta


I have always loved the traditional topping for the bruschetta.  I have been making it for forevs and I am pretty sure it will always be my fave.  

Now, let's be honest, CO, you are not that good at growing fruits and veggies.  Since living in CO, I haven't had one good tomato.  It is sad because homegrown tomatoes might be my favorite thing to eat ever.  Cut in half, with salt and pepper.  Or my ultimate favorite is a tomato sandwich.  OMGGGGGGGGGG.  I miss my tomato sandwiches.  

The thing is...I would rather have a bad tomato than no tomato at all.  And I know this is not how many tomato lovers are.  Instead of being mature and eating something else, I get crabby and curse under my breath while picking out the few roma tomatoes at the grocery store that aren't hard, pink and totally covered in wax.  

BTW, I don't really curse.  Or say the word curse.  I would normally say cuss, but was trying to sound cool.  

So, pretend these tomatoes are beautiful, home-grown tomatoes (preferably grown in the good ol' Midwest).  Mix in some olives and fresh basil (which, btw, our basil from our indoor herb garden has been doing great).  Then, all you do is add a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper.  Best bruschetta topping, in my opinion.  

We grilled our bread because of the summer heat.  My sister isn't exactly a fan of our non-air conditioned place.  Baby!


Balsamified Tomato, Olive and Basil Topping for Bruschetta

1 baguette
olive oil
1 clove of garlic, peeled and cut in half
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 handful of black olives, chopped
~20 basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper

Mix tomatoes, olives and basil together. Dress with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat broiler. Slice baguette on the diagonal. Place on a baking tray. Brush/drizzle with olive oil. Put under broiler until golden brown and toasty. Rub with garlic halves.

Serve bruschetta topped with tomato, olive and basil mixture.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 3-4 min., Difficulty: Easy)

1 comment:

  1. Yes...CO is struggling in terms of fresh produce. The farmer's markets make me sad. We are moving down to Texas in 5 days, so I'm hoping the produce perks up! These look so yummy though (with or without those tomatoes we both crave)

    ReplyDelete