Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Turkey Burgers



We love these turkey burgers.  I can't believe I haven't gotten around to making them yet this summer!  

Ground turkey (or chicken) is one of those things that needs a lot love.  You can't just patty it up and throw it on the grill.  For any ground meat, but especially the lean stuff, I always add some fat, some veg, some spices and then throw in some bread crumbs and an egg, for good measure.  And well, for binding it all up.  

I would marry coriander if I could.  And cilantro.  I think I already told you this.  But, that plant is my food husband.

So...I forget where I was going with that.  I think I was just trying to tell you that these patties are graced by the presence of the plant in both forms.  With some celery and green onion, this makes for a very light and refreshing burger.  We almost always eat it topped with lettuce and pico de gallo, but this time I made a little avocado sauce.  It was one avocado, mashed up and I added the juice of one lemon, about 1-2 tbsp of sour cream, 1 tbsp of mayo, chopped cilantro and salt and pepper.  I thought it went well with the burger.  


Turkey Burgers

1 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1 egg
1-2 celery stalks, finely minced
2 green onions, finely minced
1 small handful of cilantro, chopped
2 tsp of coriander
1-2 tbsp of olive oil
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients just until combined. Don’t overmix.

Divide into four portions and form four patties. Grill over medium high heat, about 5 minutes on each side, until fully cooked through.

Serve on bun with lettuce, tomato, red onion and sauce of choice. They are also great with pico de gallo.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 10 min., Difficulty: Easy)

4 comments:

  1. Gosh you are adorable. Food husband...I laughed out loud. Your avocado sauce sounds rich and creamy, a perfect burger topping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if cilantro is your food husband, what is goat cheese? your mistressssss?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh geez...you bring up a good point kt. i suppose i shouldn't be making these commitments to food. too many other fish in the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! Turkey burgers and cilantro are both favorites around here too.

    ReplyDelete