Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Hummus


Guess what?  I am pretty much a chickpea hater.  I think it is the texture.  But, I am a late bloomer when it comes to beans, of any kind.  I couldn't stand even the thought of them until about 6-7 years ago when I finally gave in and included them in my Chipotle burrito.  I hate not liking food, so I basically kept trying them until I liked them.  I am still sensitive about the texture, but now generally really enjoy beans.  

Now chickpeas?  I am still not completely over my fear.  But I can definitely pretend to like them for the most part.  So, you may be wondering, how I could like hummus?  I was wondering the same thing.  But I do love a good hummus.  But HATE a bad one.  Geez...is there any food that can be SO good but also be SO so SO bad?  

I have been experimenting with hummus recipes for the past month.  When I was in Omaha back in June, I ate the best hummus I have ever had.  And it made me realize that I DO love a good hummus.  And I was determined to figure out what I could do to make this amazing hummus.  After lots of failures, this is what I learned (and it turned out totally delicious):

1.  I basically hate that tahini crap.  Lots of recipes call for something like 6 tbsp?!?!  The first recipe I used called for that much and I could barely swallow the resulting hummus.  It tasted like nasty peanut butter.  I guess it is not my thing...I am sure some of you probs will love it that way.  For me, I like about 2 tsp of tahini!

2.  The secret ingredient for me is about a tbsp of crumbled feta.  It gives it this nutty, cheesey flavor.  This kind of evens out the tahini and chickpeas for me.  Totally makes it for me.  

3.  I like lots of lemon juice.  And in general, I like a pretty wet, loose final hummus.


We had our hummus with pita bread, carrots and celery.  And on the side some tabouleh.  


Hummus

4 tbsp of lemon juice, about 1-2 lemons
1/4 cup water
2 tsp of tahini, well mixed
2-3 tbsp of olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 14 oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp of crumbled feta cheese
1 clove of garlic, finely minced or grated
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of cumin
1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper

Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl or measuring cup. Combine tahini and 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in another small bowl or measuring cup. It is much easier to use something with a spout, if available.

In food processor, process garbanzo beans, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne until almost fully ground. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. Turn food processor on and with it running, add the lemon-water mixture in a steady stream through
the feed tube. Scrape bowl down and process for an additional minute. With machine continuing the run, add oil-tahini mixture in a steady stream through feed tube. Continue to process until smooth and creamy, scraping down bowl, as needed.

Transfer hummus to serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil and serve.

(Servings: 4-8, Prep time: 25 min., Cook time: 0 min., Difficulty: Easy)

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you...I'm not a big bean girl. I can eat them on occasion, but I don't get excited about them. However, I love a quality hummus. There is only one brand that I buy at the store, and I sometimes make a batch at home. Your tips were right on...I douse my hummus with lemon juice...it makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete