Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kenyan-Style Kale and Tomatoes


This is another one of those recipes that I was really hesitant about.  I wouldn't label myself as a "health nut".  I do donuts.  But, I do love being healthy and eating healthy food.  

And I never know what I am going to get with hearty greens like kale.  They scare me. 


Don't worry, though, I faced my fears and went for it.  And I loved this dish.  I think it is all the acid from the tomatoes and the lemon juice that does it for me.  It is a great winter side dish.  

I actually made it a main course by adding a fried egg and some toast.


Kenyan-Style Kale and Tomatoes

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
3 ripe but firm tomatoes, cored and chopped
2 bunches kale or collard greens (about 1 pound total), ribs removed, leaves
thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño (if using) and cook, stirring often, until softened and golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until collapsed and juicy, about 10 minutes more. Add kale, water, lemon juice, salt and pepper, toss once or twice, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender and flavors have come together, 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve.

NOTE: In Kenya, this dish is called sukuma wiki, named after the dark, leafy greens from which it's made. The name translates roughly to "push the week," implying the ingredient's stellar ability to stretch meals, making them last to the end of the week. Throughout the country, the popular dish is eaten without utensils, with chapati (a variety of flatbread) or ugali (a type of cornmeal mush) used to scoop up bites instead. This recipe was inspired by a Whole Planet Foundation microcredit client.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 5 min., Cook time: 35 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  1/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

2 comments:

  1. Smile. I do donuts too. We should make shirts. I also get a bit scared of hearty greens, but this recipe makes them sound pretty darn appealing. Thanks for sharing, love. Have a beautiful Wednesday full of laughter and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, good call on adding the egg. I'm finding that just about any veggie-like stew topped off with egg makes a great meal.

    ReplyDelete