Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Linguine with Clam Sauce


Did you guys know that they took cherry out of Runts?  

a.  Not ok.  That was my favorite.
b.  What were they thinking?  
c.  I hate Runts.  Now.

Ok, so Scot and I went and saw The Social Network this past weekend.  The theater we went to had this little candy shop where you can fill a bag with a variety of candies and pay $300 per pound.  Which was definitely worth it.    

I love candy.  And I can't figure out why because I am so sensitive to things being too sweet in every other thing I eat.  My favorites are sweet tarts, hot tamales, skittles, licorice, and gummy bears.  For some reason, if I eat candy during a movie, it has to be sweet tarts.  And they did not have any.  So, I went with Runts.

Now, I haven't had Runts since like...6th grade.  During the movie, I kept reaching in my bag, hoping to finally pull out a cherry Runt...and I never did.  As I lost all the taste buds on my tongue and roof of my mouth, I started to wonder if maybe they changed their flavors.  Finally, I looked it up on Wikipedia.  Turns out, they did.  Three times since the last time I had Runts.  Not only do they not have cherry, but they all took out lime.  I don't know who is running Runts, but big mistake...big.

I just had to get that off my chest.  It is the only reason I haven't been blogging lately.  I have a really stressful life.  

Moving on (not really sure how else to transition my awkward blogging), I have been excited to try this pasta dish that Annie posted a few weeks ago.  You should go read her post on it.  She tells an amazing story of how her mom used to make this for her family.  Annie's family found out that her mom had a terminal illness when Annie was still very young.  Before her mom lost her battle, she made sure Annie's dad had recipes like this to make for the family.  Hearing the story, gives me such an appreciation for this dish and respect for all the hardworking parents out there trying there best to feed their children home cooked and healthy meals.  And of course, all the rest of us, doing the same for ourselves too.  :)  

Linguine with Clam Sauce

12 oz. linguine pasta
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams, juices reserved
1/2 cup heavy cream (or half-and-half)
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan, for serving

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Drain well.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat until the butter is completely melted. Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the reserved clam juice to the pan, bring to a simmer, and reduce by about half. With the heat on medium-low, stir in the clams and the heavy cream. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Portion the pasta into warmed serving bowls. Spoon some of the sauce over the pasta and top with grated Parmesan, if desired. Serve immediately.

(Servings: 3-4, Prep time: 20 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  6/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort: 1/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

1 comment:

  1. Ryan loves clams...so I know he would enjoy this one. And yes, we know about the cherry. It broke both of our hearts. We no longer buy runts. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday night!

    ReplyDelete