Thursday, November 18, 2010

Virginia Willis' Cola Glazed Wings


Did you know I used to be a diet soda pop drinker?  Did you know I really call it pop but REALLLY wish I called it soda because I think it sounds way cooler and more sophisticated?  

Back to the diet thing...I used to do diet.  If I drank soda, it was diet.  And I put sweet n' low in my coffee.  I ate light yogurt, which apparently has aspartame in it.  

Then, I moved to Boulder.  

In Boulder, I learned how weird and creepy all that fake sugar is.  Why was I eating it?!?!  I am not even on a diet!  

It kind of makes me angry that I was putting that crazy stuff in my body for all those years.  Not to mention, I can't even stand the taste of that fakey sugar.  Why didn't anyone tell me that real Coke is so amazing?  Mexican Coke is even better!  

These cola wings actually taste nothing like cola.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this recipe.  I am definitely a wing girl.  I love dark meat.  I love meat on bones.  Unfortunately, though, I am a spicy wing snob.  These are sweet, sweet wings.  And even though I thought they needed a super hardcore kick of spice, I thought I would share them because I know lots of people love sweet wings.  

Also, I used the broiler method to cook these (as indicated in the recipe), and my wings cooked in about 6 minutes per side.  They would have burned fast if I didn't keep an eye on them.  If you would rather, you can bake them at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes on the first side and 10 minutes on the other side.  

Virginia Willis' Cola Glazed Wings

1 cup cola
Juice of 2 limes
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 jalapeno, finely minced (discard the seeds)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 pounds chicken wings
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper

To make the glaze: In a small sauce pan, bring the soda, lime juice, brown sugar and the minced jalapeno to a boil over high heat. Decrease the heat to mediumlow and simmer until the mixture is syrupy, about 30 minutes; keep warm over low heat.

To prepare the wings: Cut off the wing tip (reserve the tips to make stock), and separate the wings at the joint. Place the wing pieces in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour about half the glaze over the wings and toss to coat.  Keep the remaining sauce warm over low heat.

To bake the wings: Position an oven rack 4 inches below the broiler element in the oven. Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the glazed wing on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes per side, brushing twice on each side with the reserved glaze. Transfer to a platter.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 45 min., Cook time:L 20 min, Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  5/10
Scot (taste):  6/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

3 comments:

  1. Smile. You are so right. Diet soda does not jive well in Colorado. These wings look tantalizing. I wish I had a plate next to me now. Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope you are having a relaxing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well duh i grew up calling it pop just like you but when i started serving at mistys i just automatically switched to soda cause i thought it sound more sophisticated

    ReplyDelete