Monday, December 13, 2010

PW's Lasagna


Nicole's lasagna post last week got me looking through all the lasagna recipes that I have saved.  So, I thought I would try out Pioneer Woman's "The Best Lasagna.  Ever." recipe.  

I have a strange and complicated history with lasagna.  It is one of those things that I have never loved, but at the same time, never hated.  And while Nicole's lasagna was pretty healthy (for a lasagna), most lasagnas are just a pile of fat and carbs.  And I can appreciate something like that.  Don't worry.  But only in moderation.  

This particular recipe intrigued me for the following reasons:

-Lots of meat.  About 2.5 lbs and a mixture of sausage and beef.  Yikes!  That is like 4 cows.  ...and a pig.
-Cottage cheese instead of ricotta.  Wha?!?!  I'll try it.  
-Two layers only.
-Meat on top!



The truth is, I could hardly handle all this meat.  Although I am a big talker about my love of meat, truth is, I cannot and do not desire to eat large quantities of meat.  This is a man's lasagna.  Men should eat this after a long day of hunting.  Or after playing Rugby.  In the rain.  Covered in mud and blood.  

On the other hand, I absolutely loved the entire meat/tomato layer while it was simmering on the stove.  Maybe I should just put it in a little ramekin and eat it with a tiny spoon.  Wearing a skirt.  

How do I feel about the cottage cheese layer?  Eh.  Not sure.  Indifferent.  Ricotta any better?  Eh.  

I mean:  lasagna is lasagna.  And I am still waiting for one that changes my life.  This one was good.  This butternut squash version is better.  But so different, so how can you even compare them?

Eating a salad with your lasagna automatically makes it healthier.  
PW’s Lasagna
by Pioneer Woman with modifications by foodforscot

1 1/2 pound ground beef (90/10)
1 pound mild Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 32-ounce can whole tomatoes
2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
4 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried basil
salt
3 cups lowfat cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for top
1 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
1 package (10 ounce) lasagna noodles
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, combine ground beef, sausage, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain half the fat; less if you’re feeling naughty. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil and some salt. After adding the tomatoes, the sauce mixture should simmer for 45 minutes while you are working on the other steps.

In a medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, beaten eggs, grated Parmesan, 2 more tablespoons parsley, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir together well. Set aside. Cook lasagna until “al dente” (not overly cooked).

To assemble: Arrange 4 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a baking pan, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Spread evenly. Cover cottage cheese with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Spoon a
 little less than half the meat/sauce mixture over the top.

Repeat, ending with meat/sauce mixture. Sprinkle top generously with extra Parmesan.

Either freeze, refrigerate for up to two days, or bake immediately: 350-degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until top is hot and bubbly.

(Servings: 8-10, Prep time: 1 hour, Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:  

Shanon (taste):  6/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  3/5
Dishwashing Effort:  3/5

1 comment:

  1. This sounds perfect for meat lovers, fortunately my twin boys are! Although they love just about any lasagna, they still prefer to have beef or sausage lasagna over spinach and mushroom, lol! I'll definitely give this a go. I think I'll surprise my boys tomorrow night with a hearty lasagna!

    ReplyDelete