Thursday, January 6, 2011

Salmon Tacos with Beet-Citrus Salsa



I haven't been posting a lot lately.  You know why?  Because we had SO much food to eat.  Since I made all these huge meals like lasagna, enchiladas, and the African stew...we have been eating leftovers for every meal.  Kind of nice actually.  But also...I can't eat another ounce of cheese for the rest of my life.  I am all cheesed out.  

I am just talking like regular cheese like mozzarella and cheddar.  I can still do goat cheese.  

And feta...that ain't even cheese.

That is what is so great about these tacos.  So fresh!  These tacos start with a sweet, flaked salmon topped with arugula, a beet and citrus salad (mine is kind of a slaw) and crumbled feta cheese.  I think it would also be great with some goat cheese instead of feta.  But I think that about everything.  :)  Actually, I think the creaminess would be great.    

If you want to know more about the nutritional information with this dish, check out Cara's breakdown.  She also crisps up her corn tortillas in the oven.  I just grilled mine in a little light oil to loosen them up.  She also includes directions to roast the beets.  I found some shredded at the salad bar at Whole Foods.  And it was already 8 pm.  And I still needed to check out, put away groceries and make dinner.  So, I figured I would try out the raw shredded beets.  Which, are delicious.  I do think it takes away some of the moisture from the tacos, but we still enjoyed them.  

Also, I loved the orange in the beet citrus salad.  I might even like two whole oranges in it.  I am crazy though.  Do whatever you like.  And like I say every time I cook fish in the oven, I'd rather pan fry it.  But, it is easier and healthier using the broiler method, so I am not hatin'.  


Salmon Tacos with Beet-Citrus Salsa
slightly adapted from Cara’s Cravings

1 recipe Beet-Citrus Salsa (see below)
8 oz of salmon
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp each cumin and chili powder
6 6" corn tortillas
2 cups arugula
crumbled feta cheese

Preheat the broiler. Mix together the brown sugar, chili powder and cumin. Place the salmon, skin side down, on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Rub the spice mixture onto the fish, then season with salt and pepper. Broil for 10-15 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Flake the fish away from the skin (the skin will stick to the foil to be disposed of.) Divide the arugula, fish, and salsa among the taco shells, and sprinkle with feta before serving.

(Servings: 2, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: Easy)

Beet-Citrus Salsa

1 cup of shredded raw beet
1 small orange, segmented
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 small shallot, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
2 tbsp minced cilantro
juice of 1 lime
salt, to taste

Cut a small slice from the orange so that it can sit on a flat surface. With a paring knife, go around the orange, cutting away the skin and white flesh. Then, slice in between the "skins" of each segment to remove clean orange segments. Cut each segment into three pieces.

Combine the shredded beets and orange segments (and juice leftover) with remaining ingredients; adjust salt to taste.


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

3 comments:

  1. i've been craving fish tacos!! i don't know why...i wish there were like vegetarian fish tacos. or i should just make those bean and coleslaw tacos from caras cravings. mmm.

    -jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh tacos are so delicious...especially tacos with goat cheese. I feel like goat cheese is in an entirely different category than other cheeses. I could eat it everyday of the week. I love the beet citrus salsa you shared with us too. How unusual! I hope you have a relaxing Sunday. I don't know about you, but I need a day to rejuvenate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed these and thanks for the shout out! And I really have to thank you for reminding me about these tacos - I think part of the reason I came up with them last year is because someone had sent us a huge box of Florida oranges as a gift and I was looking for ways to use them up (other than just eating them, of course!) We have the same oranges now and I was just trying to figure something out for them!

    ReplyDelete