Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Potato Leek Soup



Remember back when I posted a recipe for Baked Potato Soup?  It was delicious.  And I love the warm feeling potato soup leaves in your stomach.  As I said before, it actually warms your soul.  You can feel it in your heart's center.  

I loved it but I hated it.  I hated it because it had some ridiculous amount of sour cream in it and I couldn't eat it again without feeling guilty.  It is a party soup.  But how will I warm my soul?  


This potato and leek soup has all the warming qualities without the additional fat.  And it is equally as delicious.  I topped mine with some goat cheese, chives and plenty of black pepper (instead of parsley).  We ate this up before our game of broomball tonight, which was played outdoors in 3 degree weather.  And don't worry, my soul stayed plenty warm.  

Namaste.


Potato Leek Soup

2 tbsps (1 oz.) butter or vegetable oil
4 leeks, trimmed of the roots and dark green parts, split, washed, and diced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tbsps fresh parsley, minced

Heat the oil or butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté until they wilt. This takes about 6 minutes or so. Season the leeks with salt and pepper to your liking. Add the potatoes, broth, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender. When the potatoes are soft, use an immersion blender or a regular blender to purée the soup. You can leave chunks if you like by blendering only half of the soup. It’s a matter of preference. Stir in the parsley and serve hot.

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 20 min., Cook time: 25 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love rich and creamy soups too, but I always feel a bit indulgent when I want to consume more than one bowl. This soup looks both tasty and healthy! I could eat several cups and still feel like I was doing just fine. Thank you for sharing! I hope you are having a happy day. Stay warm and keep on enjoying all that is beautiful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potato soup. It's cold and rainy today this would have been great for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looovee this! It's a feel good food, both for your soul and your body. Can't go wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete