Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tuna and Caper Tomato Pasta



I know this isn't a meal that 80% of the people in the world would like.  

I used to think that I invented putting tuna and olives in tomato sauce.  And then putting it over pasta.  This is a pantry meal I used to make all the time.  Then, I saw Giada do it (no tuna).  Then, I went to Switzerland and had it in a restaurant.  THEN, I made it like everyday we were in Switzerland because everything else there was too expensive.  And finally, I saw this recipe on Closet Cooking.  And I thought, "you know Kev, you put a lot more thought into your pasta dish than I ever have...I am just going to make yours!"  (Kevin doesn't know me...or that I call him Kev.)

Anyways, I love this pasta.  And I am sorry if you hate olives and canned tuna and capers and anchovies.  I am guessing if that is the case, you might not like this pasta.  

But if there was such a way for brine to flow out my pores, I am sure it would.  

Love you. 

I give you a 9/10 for convenience, love, ease of execution and flavor burst.  


Tuna and Caper Tomato Pasta

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes (crushed)
2 tablespoons capers (drained)
1/4 cup kalamata olives (pitted and diced)
2 anchovies (minced, optional)
1 can tuna (drained)
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound spaghetti
1 handful parsley (chopped)

Heat the oil in the pan at medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about a minute. Add the white wine, deglaze the pan and then simmer until it has almost all evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and capers and simmer until the sauce just starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. Add the olives, anchovies and tuna and simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta as directed.

Season the tomato sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the tomato sauce from the heat and mix in the parsley. Toss the pasta in the sauce and serve.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  9/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

2 comments:

  1. We make something similar to this...and we love it...and we make it again and again. I'm not the biggest fan of capers, but Ryan ADORES them, so I usually pick out mine and give them to him. Thank you so much for sharing with me tonight...and thanks for all the sweetness you leave on my blog...it means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this dish without the tuna but I'm definitely going to have to really shake things up and include it next time!

    And I call him Kev also. Right on, sister!

    ReplyDelete