Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Buffalo and Mushroom Pizza



After arriving home from a trip that was full of fun, subzero temperatures and failing at life...I needed to cook.  I needed some success in my life.  I decided to dig deep into my roots (Omaha, NE) and make a pizza that you can only find in the city of beef.  Although, I didn't use beef.  I wanted to make it seem like a big deal. 

See in Omaha, you can always get ground beef on pizza.  Also known as "hamburger".  It is weird.  But I love it.  Check out my Restaurant page; all the Omaha pizza joints listed have a hamburger pizza on the menu.  And the hamburger and mushroom combo is classic.  

Since I am a CU Buff, I decided to be fancy and use ground buffalo.  Not sure how mentioning that our mascot is a buffalo makes eating buffalo meat sound like a good idea.  


But really, did you know at the CU football games, a real life buffalo runs a circle around the field.  Cowboys (and sometimes girls) are holding various ropes to direct him.  It looks dangerous.  It also looks like there is no way those cowboys could run any faster.  And usually I fear for the cheerleaders lives.  


Did you also know that our fake buffalo mascot, Chip, has parents that come during Family Weekend?  I thought it was hilarious.  But I am kind of lame.  


Buffalo and Mushroom Pizza

pizza dough (1/2 of this recipe)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 a medium onion, diced
6-8 medium Cremini mushrooms, diced
1/3 lb of ground bison meat or ground beef
1 tsp olive oil
1/2-1 cup of tomato sauce
4 tbsp of Parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 cups of shredded mozzarella (I used whole milk)
salt and pepper

Place pizza stone in oven on middle/bottom rack and preheat to 500 degrees F for at least 30 minutes.

In a medium skillet, heat up the 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add meat and cook until just done or slightly underdone. Don’t overcook. Season mixture with salt and pepper.

Roll/stretch out dough. Using a pastry brush, brush the 1 tsp of olive oil on the outer rim of the dough. Spoon and spread out the tomato sauce on to the dough, leaving a half inch border around the edge. Add meat mixture, a layer of Parmesan cheese, and top with mozzarella. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese and crust are golden brown.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

1 comment:

  1. I think it's cute that Chip has parents, too. I bet they weren't too happy you put him on your pizza!

    ReplyDelete