Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Orzo Salad with Celery, Radishes, and Dill



When I first started cooking a lot, I made tons of pasta salad.  Not sure what it is about it, but me and pasta salad have always been like *that*.  They are great for an side dish that needs to be made in advance.  They are great for potlucks and as a grill out side.  


I was drawn to this recipe in bon appétit magazine because of three things:

1.  I have several (hundreds) boxes of orzo.  
2.  Our dill is...ready.  
3.  Goat cheese.

Ok, but I haven't had goat cheese in a loooong time.  And I need it in my life.  Why have I gone so long without it?  I must be delusional.  

I have a similar orzo salad that I posted last summer.  It is more of a mustard-dill dressing and has feta, tomatoes, green onions and cucumbers.  This new salad has a combination of dill, celery, radishes, tomatoes and goat cheese.  And the dressing is just oil and vinegar (white balsamic!)  Very tasty.  I love celery and radishes together.  And separate.  


Orzo Salad with Celery, Radishes, and Dill
from bon appétit Magazine, March 2011

2 cups orzo
1 1/2 cups very thinly sliced celery (about 3 stalks)
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 bunch radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
2/3 cup chopped fresh dill
5 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1 cup (about 5 ounces) crumbled soft fresh goat cheese

Cook orzo in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Rinse under cold water; drain. Transfer to large bowl; add celery, tomatoes, radishes, and dill.

Whisk oil and vinegar in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and pour over salad; toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper. Fold in half of goat cheese.  Sprinkle remaining cheese over and serve.

(Servings: 8 sides, Prep time: 20 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:  

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  9/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  3/5

1 comment:

  1. I have been craving goat cheese lately. I need you to come over and make me pasta salad. Thank you for sharing your words and recipe tonight. I'm drooling. I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow. Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete