Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Potato and Yam Soup with Bacon and Spinach



As I walked to the bus after school/work the past couple of days, I have been shocked by the light.  The sun!  I forgot about you!.  On work days.  

How does this happen?  Every.  Single.  Year.  Having sunlight is like surprise gift for me.  I am so lucky that I am clueless.  

I should also talk about how it is warming up.  But living in Boulder, it isn't really ever that cold...for that long.  Plus, it seems to take me about a month longer than everyone else to phase out the gloves, hats, and coats.  It has happened more than a few times that I find myself with all the fixings and the guy next to me is wear shorts and t-shirt.  I basically don't expose my skin to the fresh air until mid-April.  

I love soup.  JTLYK.


Potato and Yam Soup with Bacon and Spinach
from bon appétit Magazine, March 2011

6 slices applewood-smoked bacon (about 6 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 10-ounce yam (red-skinned sweet potato), peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 10 ounces), quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
2 medium red-skinned potatoes (about 10 ounces), quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
4 to 5 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 5- to 6-ounce package baby spinach

Sauté bacon in large pot over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Add onion to drippings in pot; increase heat to medium-high and sauté until beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice. Stir until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add all potatoes; stir to coat. Add 4 cups broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid slightly ajar. Simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes. Add spinach and bacon; stir until spinach wilts, about 1 minute, adding broth by 1/2 cupfuls if too thick. Season with salt and pepper.

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:  

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

3 comments:

  1. SO many of my favorite things! In one place! Yams! Bacon! Yum.

    It never gets warm here until at least May, so I'll be eating this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good and I am going to make this soon. I have been craving it ever since I read this. Can't wait to try it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummzy I may have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete