Monday, January 2, 2012

Kale, Tomato and Goat Cheese Twice Baked Potato



Day 164 in this new city and I still don't remember how to get from my house to the grocery store.  Unfortunately, that is not a joke.  Being an idiot is a constant struggle.

I am doing a new thing here on foodforscot.  It probably won't change your life.  But if it does, it might make be feel a little better about being navigationally challenged.  

I have been stocking up recipe after recipe (aka photo after photo) of all these meals I have made over the past 5-6 crazy months of my life.  I haven't posted them because many of them are "ideas" rather than recipes.  And I am lazy!  They are just things I whip up when I don't want to recipe test and just want to cook and eat without figuring out how much of this and how much of that and how long for this, etc.  So...stay tuned for weird, random, maybe overly obvious meals, recipes and ideas.  I don't know how long this will last, but I hope for it to be frequent and fun.  Which is why I will call this series:

Food Ideas for You from Me 

First up in this series are these twice baked potatoes.  You may know/remember my thing with baked potatoes.  But can I just re-iterate that a good baked potato can seriously make you feel like all is right in the world.  It has to be the most under-rated potato side.  Even I, the number one fan of the baked potato, sometimes discriminate.  I usually stuff them with steamed broccoli, cheese and/or bacon, but this kale, tomato and goat cheese version is amazing.  Make sure you respect the preparation of the baked potato.  The key to a good baked potato is to really scrub the potato skin so that it is super clean.  Because when it is oiled and sprinkled with salt and pepper before baking, it makes the most delicious crispy skin to enjoy.  If you make a good baked potato or twice baked potato, you will scarf down the entire things (including the skin).  

PS:  I have been pretty good about updating the recipe index, sometimes it is 1-6 recipes behind.  I updated the weeknight meals tab with a few things last night.  I still have a few more things to add, but will continue to update.  The restaurants tab is in need of some updating.  Fortunately and unfortunately, I have a LOT of new places to add.  

2012 foodforscot Kitchen Tip:  Keep a lot of kitchen towels around.  I probably have 30+.  Use them frequently.  Replace them frequently.  Use them to wipe down your cutting board, to dry produce, to wipe off your hands as you cook, to wipe off your knife, to wipe down your pan, etc.  I feel like for the longest time I skimped on my dish towel use (afraid of laundry maybe...?), but now I use one or two a day and it makes my time in the kitchen flow so much better.  Also, have a variety of types.  I like those thin white ones, thick towel-y ones, big ones, those hatch patter ones, etc.  All good for different things.  


Kale, Tomato and Goat Cheese Twice Baked Potato

3 baking potatoes
olive oil
2 ounces of goat cheese
3 tablespoons of butter
3 ounces of Monterey jack, shredded
1 bunch of kale, rinsed, dried, stems removed and chopped
1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash potatoes under water and scrub the skin clean. Takes about 2 minutes per potato. Completely dry the potatoes with a kitchen towel. Cover a baking sheet with foil. Place potatoes on baking sheet and pierce each potato several times with a fork. Liberally coat potatoes with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in oven until fork tender. Usually takes about an hour for a medium sized potato.

While potatoes are baking, heat up some olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped kale and cook for about 15 minutes until kale is cooked down and wilted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Remove potatoes from oven and let cool slightly (or enough so that you can work with them…if you have hands of steel, start right away). It helps to cut them in half length-wise and let them sit for a few minutes to cool down. After the potatoes are sliced in half length-wise, scoop out the insides leaves about 1/4 inch of flesh and skin so that potatoes don’t fall apart. Mash together the potato insides, goat cheese, butter, some of the Monterey jack cheese (leave enough to top off the potato halves), and salt and pepper, to taste. After mixture is somewhat homogeneous, add the cooked kale and cherry tomatoes and fold to combine. Fill each of the six potato halves with the mixture and top with remaining Monterey jack cheese. Place back on baking sheet and bake for another 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly golden brown.

(Servings: 3-6, Prep time: 30 min., Cook time: 1.5 hrs., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  9/10
Scot (taste):  9/10
Effort:  3/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

2 comments:

  1. These are healthy because they have kale right? and butter is good for your heart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to have your tips because I do love baked potatoes but I want to make REALLLLLYYY good ones. YUM.

    ReplyDelete