Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Salmon with Sautéed Kale and Cranberries



Here is another random meal I made right after Thanksgiving (Food from Me to You...what an awful name for a series).  I often make a piece of fish and we eat it over some veggie medley like this.  I don't even want to talk about the fact that I put goat cheese on this.  But I do because I actually think it is a vital component.  Anytime I eat something sweet, I need to like kick it in the face with something either creamy or super savory and salty.  And the bitter greens and tart/sweet cranberries paired with silky salmon and goat cheese from heaven is crazy good.  

In general, when I am in a hurry and just want to whip something up, I almost always turn to 1-3 of these ingredients:

1.  Kale
2.  Goat Cheese
3.  Fish

Eating a piece of well cooked salmon is always a highlight of my weekly meals.  All these photos are so ugly, but life really does go on.  

2012 foodforscot Kitchen Tip:  Learn to cook fish properly by practicing.  Cook fish once a month until you make one night and declare it the best fish you have ever ate.  Succulence.   


Salmon with Sautéed Kale and Cranberries

2 salmon fillets (skin on or off, I like the crispy skin)
olive oil
salt and pepper
Herb butter (or butter + some fresh or dry herbs)
1 bunch of kale, clear, dried and roughly chopped
A large handful of cranberries
Goat cheese, crumbled

Put olive oil in small non-stick sauté pan and preheat over medium/medium-high heat. Season salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. Sear each side until crisp (if the skin is on, I do skin side first). While on second side, add herb butter and baste the salmon fillets while they finish cooking. You can easily see when fish is done by just keep an eye on the side view. When there is no dark pink (or very little dark pink) left, just stop.

In a separate skillet, add some more oil and put over medium/medium-high heat. Add kale and wilt down for about 15 minutes, stirring often. Add cranberries and cook until they have burst and are cooked down, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve each salmon fillet over the cranberry kale mixture. Top with crumbled goat cheese.

(Servings: 2, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Scot (taste):  8/10
Shanon (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment