Friday, January 6, 2012

Eggs and Toast with Goat Cheese



Are you fascinated by birth order stuff?  I am!  Partially because I am second born out of four and it is well known that middle children are most perfect.  Ya know, they aren't spoiled with attention like the first born.  They aren't spoiled by being the baby of the family their whole life.  

There is no doubt in my mind that my oldest brother just read that while shaking his head.

All kidding aside, I am relatively obsessed with birth order.  It is only a matter of a few interactions with new people that I not only try to predict where they fall in their family, but I also verify this prediction by asking.  I am actually not even very good at predicting.  BUT, when I do find out, I always do one of those "ahhhhh, makes sense".  

Which brings me to my point...my little baby sister cannot spread cream cheese on a bagel.  She is 19.  There are a lot of difficult parts about growing up, moving out of the house, becoming an adult.  But spreading cream cheese on a bagel just isn't one of them.  

So in honor of my last born sibling and some of the simple talents she never developed because people always spread the cream cheese on her bagel for her...here is my next kitchen tip.

2012 foodforscot Kitchen Tip:  Have trouble spreading cream cheese on your freshly toasted bagel?  The number one thing to focus on:  confidence.  You can't start to spread and question your cream cheese placement.  Once the cheese hits the toasty surface, it cannot be changed.  Just go with it.  The process needs to take under 20 second per half or you might as well just eat the spread separately.  If you aren't ready for this speed racing spreading, your best bet is to let your bagel cool down for a few minutes.  But that will leave you with sub par results.  At this point you need to weigh whether you want inconsistent, non-uniform cream cheese on your bagel OR a luke warm product.  The choice is yours.

And finally, to continue with my series, Food from Me to You, here is one of my favorite, easiest dinners.  Because of my state of the art IHOP training back in the day, I know how to make eggs the way I like them.  And eggs with runny yolks (I consider them over easy, but everyone defines that differently) and toast is THE best dinner.  I love eggs so much, but sometimes have a hard time eating them early in the morning.  For some reason, they aren't as good when they are the first thing I eat.  But mostly, I am so lazy in the morning that I have a hard time getting out of my granola slump.  I am also so hungry in the morning.  I barely make it from my bed to the kitchen without massive amounts of whining.  Regardless, I always eat eggs for dinner.  If I have some sort of weird/incomplete meal to eat,  I just put an egg on it.  Normally, I eat the over easy egg with goat cheese crumbled over the top and toast.  Sometimes I add some veggies, if I have some.  Normally I make this when I don't have much, so it is never the same.  In the photos here I have added smoked salmon, tomatoes, goat cheese and some potatoes.  


Eggs and Toast with Goat Cheese

Yum!

(Difficulty: Easy)

foodforscot Ratings:

Scot (taste):  8/10
Shanon (taste):  8/10
Effort:  1/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

3 comments:

  1. One of my go to easy dinners is a grilled cheese with an over easy egg. And then I put tabasco on the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cream cheese, for realz? About time she got a lesson. I love birth order theories. Two of my besties are the oldest of four, imagine that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny - my youngest brother (he's 21 now) barely knows how to use a knife ;)

    ReplyDelete