Monday, September 13, 2010

Poppy Seed Dressing


I have been wanting to post this recipe for a while now.  This is a sweet poppy seed dressing.  A dressing that I never pick.  But a dressing that has always caught my eye because I do love poppy seeds.  It is a sweet/tangy dressing.  Perfect for any fruity nut type salad.  Some big chunks of cheese like a swiss or cheddar.  

We had it with a pretty hearty, chunky salad.  Grapefruit segments, whole almonds, grapes, tomatoes and (randomly) blue cheese.  Scot loves blue cheese.  Like loooooooooves it.  Capital L.  I think it would have been better with a cubed mild cheese.  But you can't really go wrong.  I love grapefruit.  

BTW, maybe you already noticed, but I don't buy pre-made salad dressing.  Several reasons:

1.   Kinda hate them.
2.  Really hate having millions of random bottles of dressing in the fridge.  I like to keep our fridge pretty empty.  
3.  Don't like to commit to a dressing.  If you make it yourself, you can have a different kind each night. 
4.  It is SO easy.  This recipe uses a blender (which definitely helps emulsify and keep it together long term).  However, if you are strong and have a good whisk, you can do a pretty decent job by hand.  And it doesn't even matter if you use it all right away, which is what I do 80% of the time.  
5.  I can chef it up.  Throw in a little apple cider vinegar.  Maybe I want some honey.  Pretend I am more amazing than I am. 



Poppy Seed Dressing

1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoons mustard (I use Coleman’s)
1 teaspoon table salt or 2 teaspoons Kosher
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup canola or grapeseed oil
1/3 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup finely grated red onion
1 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds

Pour the olive and canola oil into a measuring cup and set aside.

Add the sugar, mustard, red onion and salt to the jar of a blender. Pour in the vinegar and blend on high until the sugar has thoroughly dissolved.

With the motor still running, remove the lid from the blender and pour in the combined oils in a steady stream until emulsified.

Pour the dressing into a jar, add the poppy seeds and shake or stir the dressing to combine. Seal the jar tightly and refrigerate until use.

(Servings: about 2 cups, Prep time: 20 minutes, Difficulty: Easy)

1 comment:

  1. I despise pre made dressing too. We should have a salad party together and try out all our favorite homemade recipes. This poppy seed dressing looks like it could be one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete