Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Salsa


A week or so ago, I was given some home-grown tomatoes.  And kind of a lot of them.  First, I fell in love.  Second, I decided that I HAD to make salsa.  Soon after, I realized that many salsa recipes call for canned tomatoes.  This was slightly depressing.  Because I was so excited to turn this huge bag of tomatoes into a delicious salsa.  It was hard to get this salsa idea out of my head, but I eventually did.  I ended up making a bruschetta topping and other things.

Now that my gift tomatoes are gone, I went back to the salsa idea.  I looked up several recipes and realized there are about a million different versions of the kind of salsa I was trying to make.  So, I just made up my own version.  And let me tell you, it was delicious.  And so ridiculously easy.  


I love fresh salsa, like this.   Lime and cilantro.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I may have already told you about my aversion to raw jalapeno.  I just like to say the word aversion because that is what the food judges always say.  But, I love jalapeno spice and flavor, but hate biting into a chunk of raw jalapeno in salsas.  Am I the only one?!?  

This salsa is all blended up and so I like the raw jalapeno flavor.  In fact, I love it.  

Last thing, this salsa tastes best cold.  All the way cold.  It is hard to wait, but I would recommend putting it in the fridge for a few hours before eating it.  


Salsa

1 28-ounce canned whole tomatoes
3 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/4 of an onion, roughly chopped
2 peppers (I used 1 Serrano and 1 jalapeno), seeded and finely chopped
2 limes (juice)
1 handful of cilantro, chopped
pinch of sugar
salt

Throw everything in the food processor and pulse until it reaches desired consistency.

(Servings: lots, Prep time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)

2 comments:

  1. This is so simple, and yet I'm sure it tasted divine. Fresh salsa is excellent...especially when you can pair it with some freshly made flour tortillas. Thank you for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met your sister in law last night at a new years party and she brought this salsa... It was amazing, I can't wait to try your other creations too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete