Sunday, September 26, 2010

Grilled Cheese and Roasted Green Chile Sandwich


This is named Pioneer Woman's favorite sandwich.  Since roasted chiles are one of my top 10 favorite things of all time.  And also because I love PW.  I knew this sandwich would be amazing.  

We went down to southern-ish Colorado at visit the Happy Apple Farms yesterday.  And the desert landscape made it impossible to fool me into thinking this farm was anywhere close to a true midwest farm/apple orchard/pumpkin patch experience.  However, it was an awesome little CO farm.  

We met the owner/farmer immediately upon our arrival.  I love farmers.  He greeted our dog and welcomed him to run free in the fields as we picked raspberries, blackberries, apples and pumpkins.  The farm was small but cute and quite busy.  

This is one of the few apple orchards I have found in CO, but what also intrigued me was that they roasted chiles and served a BBQ beef brisket for lunch.  Even though I am skeptical of CO farming potential, I thought that they could surely win me over with the chiles and brisket.  And btw, the BBQ brisket was totally good.  They only serve it on the weekends and start it on Tuesday.  

And we bought a 1/2 bushel of roasted green chiles.  Big Jim variety.  They have a little kick, but mostly mild.  And when we got home, Scot personally peeled and seeded the entire bag.  His hands burned until 6 am but, you know what, he made it.  

I used some of those green chiles to make this wonderful grilled sandwich.  It is such a delicious sandwich.  You can also just buy Hatch, whole green chiles, canned.  Or you could roast like an anaheim or poblano.  Or even a roasted red pepper would be good if you aren't into the spicier stuff.  The rye bread, the dijonaise, the two different cheeses, tomato, red onion and roasted green chile.  Love this combo!


Grilled Cheese and Roasted Green Chile Sandwich
adapted from Pioneer Woman

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, to taste
1 tablespoon mayonnaise, to taste
2 slices mild cheddar
2 thick slices of tomato
several thin slices of red onion
1/2 - 1 whole roasted green chile
2 slices Monterey Jack cheese
2 slices rye bread
butter

First, make the sauce. Measure 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and mix the together in a small bowl. Spread a very thin layer onto the inside of both pieces of bread.

Place two slices of mild cheddar on one slice of bread. Top with tomato slices, red onion, roasted green chile, and then the two slices of Monterey Jack cheese. Place other slice of bread on top. Butter the outside top.

Heat a skillet (non-stick is preferable here) over medium-low heat. Place the sandwich (butter side down) in the skillet. Butter the other side now that it is on the skillet. Cook it for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and continue cooking for another couple of minutes, until golden brown. Remove to a cutting board and cut in half.

(Servings: 1, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time; 10 min., Difficulty: Easy)

Printable Version

foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

3 comments:

  1. I so wish I was still in Colorado...I want to visit an apple farm. I imagine they have him here in Texas. I just need to find them! This sandwich looks delicious! I love green chiles, and of course you know I love bread and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon! I LOVE reading your blog and usually I am not the commenting type but for future reference with the green chiles-wear rubber gloves! I am feeling for Scott and those 'burnt' hands-ouch!

    Also, the wedding was GREAT! You ladies helped to make the night special~I am going to try the tomato basil soup this weekend!

    Your blog; thanks for making me laugh & making me hungry!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ShaNon...1 'n'...stupid, stupid, stupid!

    ReplyDelete