Monday, September 27, 2010

Yeasted Waffles


When we picked fresh raspberries this past weekend at Happy Apple farm, I wanted to make something with the berries that kept them relatively fresh.  So, I decided to try out a yeasted waffle recipe and top with some berries tossed in a little sugar and some whipped cream.  


Picking these raspberries brought me back to my first job, picking veggies and apples on a farm.  I didn't pick any berries back in the day.  I am sure that would have been a bad idea.  I would have definitely eaten more than I picked.  


Most of my time when I worked on the farm was spent in the green bean field (or the apple orchard).  My brother and I picked together.  We played all sorts of word games to keep us busy.  However, I did have plenty of alone time to day dream and think.  I remember one of the first couple of days I was there.  I was 12.  And I decided I wanted to grow up and be a farmer.  Because I absolutely loved being out in the fields.  

And I loved that we got paid for how much work we did.  It is hard work.  We would go up and down the green bean rows.  Always hoping we picked the BEST row.  And how great it was when you hit the jackpot plant.  You could grab the beans by the handful!  This is the feeling that I got to experience again picking raspberries.  You search and search for a few raspberries here and there.  But when you hit that one branch that is so heavy it is almost touching the ground.  It is somehow way too awesome.  

These waffles were great.  They had such a nice texture.  Nice and crispy on the outside.  I have the Waring Pro Belgian Waffle Maker.  I found that it worked best around the 3.5 setting.  They are not sweet on their own.  They smell a little like pizza dough because of all the yeast.  Oh yeah and the dough needs to be prepped the night before!


Yeasted Waffles

1/2 cup warm water
21/4 tsp. active dry yeast (instant is fine)
2 cups whole milk, warmed
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Combine the water and yeast in a large mixing bowl. (If using active dry yeast, let stand to dissolve 5 minutes before proceeding.) Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar and flour to the bowl. Whisk until well blended and smooth (you can also use an
electric mixer.) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight.

When you are ready to make the waffles, preheat the waffle iron. Preheat the oven to 200° F and place a plate in the oven. Just before making the waffles, whisk the eggs and baking soda into the batter until smooth. The batter will be very thin. Fill waffle wells and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Cook until crisp and golden. Transfer finished waffles to the warmed plate in the oven while you cook the rest of the batter. Top as desired with butter, syrup, etc.

(Servings; 4-6, Prep time: overnight, Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)

Printable Version

foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5  

1 comment:

  1. How lovely that you were able to pick your own berries! They look so beautiful on these wonderful waffles. I love baking/cooking with yeast, so I've bookmarked this page for future use. I'm getting a waffle iron for my birthday...and then I will be making waffles all the time!

    ReplyDelete