Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Baked Potato Soup


I think it is funny that I chose to make this soup after the whole baked potato story in my post a few days ago.  One of the things I really love about reading food blogs is that I find recipes and get ideas to make things that I would never have come up with myself.  And even though I have always enjoyed a good baked potato soup, it is just something I would not normally think of making.  

This soup warms your soul.  It seriously does!  Something about the consistency and warmth of the creaminess and starchiness of the potatoes.  I feel like this is the kind of meal that just about everyone would love.  

And as a total and complete side note:  I love those miners.  I have been watching the coverage as much as possible.  Stayed up late.  Even kept up-to-date during a meeting.  Seriously amazing.  I have gotten into reading all the stories and learning about how they survived down there for so long.  I don't like to be all mushy gushy.  Actually, I totally do.  And this group of miners and rescuers has given me a new sense of respect for mankind.  It is awesomely refreshing.  It makes me want to do something about something.  Also, how incredible is the country of Chile?  


Baked Potato Soup
adapted from Our Best Bites

4 tbsp butter
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup flour
4 1/2 cup milk
1 14oz can chicken broth
4 medium baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds) baked*
2 cups grated cheddar (or sharp cheddar) cheese, divided
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup sour cream, divided
1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided

*don't have time to bake potatoes in the oven? Just pierce them with a fork a few times and then pop them in the microwave. Cook in 5 minute intervals until a knife easily pierces through them. It usually takes 5-10 minutes. To bake in the oven, pierce each potato with a fork and place directly on oven rack. Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes.

Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds until fragrant. Add flour to pan. Slowly add milk a little at a time while whisking constantly to eliminate lumps. Whisk until smooth and then add chicken broth. Bring soup just to a simmer and heat until thickened, stirring often, about 5 minutes.

Once soup is thickened, turn heat down to medium-low. Cut potatoes in half length-wise and use a spoon to scoop out potato flesh into the pot. Use a wooden spoon to smash potatoes, breaking up large clumps. Add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese and salt and pepper and stir until cheese is melted. Remove pan from heat and stir in 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup green onions, and 4 strips of the crumbled bacon. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with each serving with the remaining sour cream, onions, cheese, and bacon.

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 25 min., Cook time: 25 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  3/5

3 comments:

  1. The miners are so inspiring. It has been a beautiful story to watch unfold. This soup looks warm and comforting. My best friend's mom made this for us when we were in middle/high school. It was my favorite meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, what a great idea - baked potato soup. I love baked potatoes and i love soup but have never had them combined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a cold and rainy day here in Toronto, so this soup recipe is calling to me! It looks like just the sort of thing to warm you up! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete