Sunday, February 20, 2011

Brown Bag Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast



I have never been a popcorn person.  Even in my days when I went to the movies more than once a year, I don't think I have ever ordered popcorn.  

Although while growing up, we had the 80's popcorn popper.  You know, the one with the spout.  And we would make popcorn and put it in a big brown paper bag.  Then, there would be a popcorn bag shaker and a butter pourer and a salt shaker.  And you would have those few kernels that were completely saturated in butter because the popcorn bag shaker totally failed at their job.  Or I guess the butter pourer could also have been a little to aggressive.  


So, I have never even thought of making microwave popcorn.  Plus it stinks so bad.  And it tastes funny.  

But, I do see the microwave people's point.  Over the past few years, Scot and I have been making popcorn on the stove in a big pot.  And it is delicious.  And I love it.  But, popcorn is for lazy nights and sometimes I don't want to to dirty that big pot.  And stand at the stove shaking it.  I don't have an 80's popcorn popper.  And I don't want one!

When I saw Alton's genius idea to just put good quality popcorn in a brown paper bag with a little salt and oil and microwaving it, I knew my dream had come true.  Sorry, trees.  But you're welcome, water source.  

Nutritional Yeast
And lastly, have you ever had the pleasure of trying nutritional yeast on your popcorn?  It took my popcorn loving to the next level.  I like to pop the popcorn in the microwave (or on the stove), then drizzle it with melted butter alternately with sprinkling over some nutritional yeast.  The thing I love most about Boulder is learning how to be more hippie-like everyday.  Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that many vegans will use as a cheese substitute.  The first time I had it, I decided it tasted a little buttery and little cheesey.  And I thought I could use it as a replacement for butter on my popcorn, which is a popular use of nutritional yeast.  And while you could do that, the real melted butter helps it stick nicely, so my favorite is a combo of butter and nutritional yeast.  In the first photo, you can really see the nutritional yeast on the popcorn.  

One last thing, Alton's original recipe says to staple the bag to shut it.  Lots of people have written about how unsafe that is for the microwave.  I kind of trust that Alton and he must know that that small amount of metal can't hurt anything?  However, I am too scared to try it, so I just tape it closed.  But if you are a true scientist, maybe you will figure it out and experiment?  foodforscot is not responsibility for any damage or injury associated with your testing.  Seriously, be careful.  


Brown Bag Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast
adapted from Alton Brown’s Popcorn recipe via Food Network

1/4 cup good quality popcorn
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or popcorn salt
Paper lunch bag
Tape
1-2 tbsp of butter, melted
2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast

Toss the popcorn with the olive oil and salt in the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over and tape the bag closed (not necessary to make it tightly sealed, one piece of tape will do). Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes to 3 minutes, or until there are about 5 seconds between pops.

NOTE: Popcorn salt is a super-fine salt that is designed especially for sticking to food such as popcorn. It has the taste of regular table salt, but its granules are much finer.

(Servings: 1-2, Prep time: 5 min., Cook time: 5 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  8/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  1/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment