Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lentil Soup



Last night, I made this.  "Eggplant Bolognese".  I went against my gut instinct (and the bland reviews).  The one that told me that this particular pasta sounded nasty.  I love eating healthy, but you can take eating healthy too far.  And first, I am just going to admit it: 

Whole wheat pasta is not good.

I love whole wheat.  I love a hearty grain.  But some things need to be white.  And I think pasta is one of them.  I vow to never use a whole wheat pasta again.  Sorry, bod.  

And second, I need salt and fat in my life.  If I want something without it, I will eat a carrot.  

Proof
Anyways, I don't recommend that pasta if you want something that tastes good.  Now, it didn't taste BAD, but those ingredients aren't cheap.  I feel like Whole Foods tricked me into buying all those ingredients.  Ingredients that could have been put to so much better use.  I guess if you want something really healthy, go for it.  

This post is actually about Alton's Lentil Soup.  Which was totally delicious.  And healthy.  Please make this instead.  It is strangely addicting.  

PS:  I made many substitutions/mistakes but soups don't care about details.  I would tell you about them all, but don't worry about it.  Grains of Paradise?  Yeah...couldn't find it either.  Way to make an otherwise accessible soup complicated, Al.  Jk.  I am sure it is a wonderful addition.  


Lentil Soup
by Alton Brown via Food Network

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground toasted cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground grains of paradise

Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat.  Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency. Serve immediately.

(Servings: 6, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 40 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  2/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the pasta mishap (I'm not a big fan of most whole wheat pastas either) but your soup looks bowl-licking good. Healthy and flavorful. Thank you for sharing your tasty meal with me. I hope you are having a happy and warm Wednesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grains of Paradise! Alton Brown...that man... a couple years ago for Christmas I was going to make his most perfect apple pie recipe. I bought all of the ingredients including grains of paradise, apple brandy (it called for ~2 Tbsp...then the remainder hung out in our house for ~ a year-who drinks apple brandy?), a new fancy high top pie pan...anyway after doing all this gathering, mental preparation, and hard work-the directions were wrong (wrong temp or time??) and I burnt my most perfect pie!!! Haven't made a pie since...

    So-thanks for posting a recipe that I can use up my grains of paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don't mind whole wheat pasta but you definitely need to buy a really good (i.e. expensive) brand if you want to get it to taste good. This sounds like one fantastic soup! Healthy and delicious without compromise. Love it.

    ReplyDelete