Monday, February 21, 2011

Spicy Bean Burritos



Sometimes I think that when I get home on a Wednesday night, after making dinner, I will have time to make baklava.  As in, I have had the ingredients to make baklava for about 3 weeks now.  

Which brings me to my next point...I secretly have a skewed taste rating.  If something is really good and easy to make, I will rate it higher than something that is really good and complicated to make .  I can't help it!  Anyways, these burritos were ridiculously easy.  And they tasted SO good.  I am confident in my 9/10 rating, but I just wanted to give you the whole story and you can make your own judgement.  But really...for how simple, cheap and delicious these were, these are a seriously good weeknight dinner option.  The bean filling has so much flavor and actually tastes a little meaty.  

I will keep you posted on my baklava.  

Spicy Bean Burritos
by Cooking Light via Annie’s Eats

For the bean filling:
2 tsp. canola or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. minced chipotle in adobo sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
Dash cayenne pepper
1/3 cup water, vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 tbsp. fresh salsa

For serving:
6 (9- or 10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
Shredded cheese
Diced tomatoes
Shredded romaine lettuce
Chopped green onions
Sour cream or Greek yogurt

To make the bean filling, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, salt and cayenne; stir, cooking just until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add the beans and the water or broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the salsa and mash the mixture with a spoon or fork.

Spoon about a third of a cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with a pinch of shredded cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions and sour cream. Roll the tortilla up tightly, burrito style, and serve immediately.

(Servings: 6, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  9/10
Scot (taste):  8/10
Effort:  1/5
Dishwashing Effort:  1/5

4 comments:

  1. So I must say that your popcorn looked amazing...and these burritos? Simple and delicious. Thank you for sharing your words and this recipe. And thank you for your kind thoughts on my own blog. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think that's totally fair. Plus you have Scott to balance things out.

    And these burritos look delicious! Quick and easy, just the way I like my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum. so what do you do with the rest of the can of chipotle? does it keep in the fridge for long? i never end up buying/using those type of things because i just end up throwing away the extra after a week because i'm unsure how it will keep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey jen. first, i have to say that for the longest time, i would buy this little tiny can for about 75 cents. and so for forever, i didn't mind throwing away what i didn't use. that tiny can is no longer available anywhere, so now i do buy a bigger can. and after wasting enough, i finally looked it up several weeks ago and scot and i decided that the overwhelming response is that chipotles in adobo sauce keep forever in tupperware in the fridge (several months). mine has been in the fridge for several weeks now and is still good, no mold, we are alive. however, it does freeze well and so you could lay out a can on a baking sheet, freeze it for several hours, break into individual pepper pieces, and put it in a freezer bag. i am too lazy to do that, but i don't have any scientific proof that keeping it in the fridge is safe. i just believe with all the acid and salt and spice, it should be well preserved.

    ReplyDelete