Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mushroom Risotto with Peas



On Top Chef a few weeks ago, Tre got sent home for his risotto.  They claimed that risotto needs to spread when it is placed on the plate.  His was too stiff.  It made me want to make some risotto.  

Such an easy dish to make, but at the same time, takes some extra love and effort.  

I am a multi-tasker.  Like it is in my deepest soul.  The deep one.  Because there are multiple.  

No but seriously, multi-tasking is what I live for and a huge part of what I love about cooking.  I like to do 350 things at once.  And every time I am in the kitchen making dinner, I pretty much feel like I am in battle.  Not sure if I am going to make it.  Not sure if everything is going to come together.  And then, in the final minutes, it all works out.  

Risotto is nothing like this.  Risotto is the most boring thing to make.  I get my multi-tasking in by doing dishes, setting the table, making a salad, etc.  But the risotto itself does not provide me with the necessary battle wounds.  But at the same time, I suppose it is kind of relaxing.  Good if you have an impulsive stirrers in your life (Scot is one those).  


Mushroom Risotto with Peas
by Giada De Laurentiis via Food Network

8 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
1/2-ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onions
10 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or short-grain white rice
2/3 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, optional

Bring the broth to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the porcini mushrooms. Set aside until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Keep the broth warm over very low heat.

Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the white mushrooms and garlic. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the porcini mushrooms to a cutting board. Finely chop the mushrooms and add to the saucepan. Saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and let it toast for a few minutes. Add the wine; cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, adding more broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 28 minutes (the rice will absorb 6 to 8 cups of broth). Stir in the peas. Mix in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 1 hr., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  7/10
Effort:  3/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty! I think risotto is boring to make too :-) We both like to have a million things going on. But regardless, this dish looks delicious. Thanks for sharing, sweet thing. Many blessings to you as the week unfolds.

    ReplyDelete