Monday, February 8, 2010

Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza



I am going to start by saying that I normally hate combo food. Examples of combo food: s'more granola bars, buffalo chicken sandwiches, cheese flavored chips, cheese flavored popcorn, french toast bagels, etc. There are a lot more. Basically, if I want a s'more, I will eat a s'more. Buffalo wings? I love them, but I don't want them turned into a sandwich. Flavored chips, crackers, etc...eeeeeee. Those are really the worst.

Bacon cheeseburger pizza is definitely a combo food. But, it is so gooooooood. Pizza is one of the most flexible halves of a combo food.

So, I first had this when I was really young, probably less than 10. Godfather's Pizza. That is where I had it. It had pickles and everything. I loved it. I grew up in Omaha. I always thought having ground beef on pizza was normal. Until someone told me that it wasn't. Must be because of all the beef laying around Omaha. In fact, it smells like ground beef in Omaha. Actually, South Omaha for real smells like beef. Or maybe it is just dirty cows. Maybe it just smells? It definitely smells.

Well, the point is, about a year ago, I remembered this Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza. The first thing I did, was search for it on all the pizza places online menus. One place had something like it, but it wasn't exactly right. Finally, I realized that I can cook! I just put everything on it that I remember: onions, green peppers, ground beef, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, bacon and, of course, pickles!

Oh yeah, one last thing. I have a real problem when pizza toppings are raw. The worst: mushrooms. The second worst: onions. Saute that up!

(sans pickles if that offends you)

Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza
by foodforscot

pizza sauce
olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 lb ground beef
salt
pepper
corn meal
2 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 oz. of cheddar cheese grated
4 oz. of mozzarella cheese grated
sliced pickles

Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 450°.

In a small skillet, add some olive oil and the chopped onions. Sauté for about 5 min. Remove onions from pan and set aside. Add a little more oil and green peppers. Sauté for about 5 min. Remove green peppers from pan and set aside.
Add ground beef to pan. Brown, season with salt and pepper, and take off heat. Roll/stretch out dough to make a circular pizza shape. Or whatever happens happens. Sprinkle pizza peel with corn meal. Place rolled out dough on pizza peel. Slide into oven on pizza stone. Cook for 1-2 min. This is just to cook the dough slightly, it makes it much easier to work with once all the toppings are on top.

Remove dough from oven. Top with sauce, onions, green peppers, ground beef, cheese and bacon pieces. Put in oven on pizza stone and cook for about 12 min. or until cheese and crust are golden brown.

Remove from oven. Let cool for a few minutes. Put pickle slices on top (not really optional).

(Servings: 2-3, Prep time: 2 hours (dough) 20 min (toppings) , Cook time: 15 min., Difficult: Easy)

5 comments:

  1. i forgot all about cheeseburger pizza! i'm going to try and find facon and boca crumbles and make this. for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time we made pizza on a stone, we made a lot of mistakes. Do you soak the stone in water before you put it in the oven? We were told thats why our dough stuck to the stone like glue. It was awful... anyway, have you tried pizza on a charcoal grill? It is so so so SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't soak the stone or anything. I have never heard of that?!? Or of the pizza sticking. I have two ideas of why dough could stick:
    1. maybe the stone wasn't hot enough? They say to keep it in longer than it takes to just preheat the oven...and lots of people recommend to use 500 degree oven. i usually do 450, because 500 is too much for me.
    2. did you use corn meal to transfer the pizza to the stone? I always sprinkle some on my pizza peel and it makes it much easier. maybe that helps it not stick to the actual stone too???

    pizza on the grill sounds wonderful. i have to try it. especially in the summer when i dont want to heat my oven to 450!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe- hubby would love this!!


    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks bonnie! you should definitely make it for him.

    ReplyDelete