Sunday, February 14, 2010

Caramelized Onion Crostini



I enjoyed these quite a bit. I love the combination of flavors. I didn't follow the directions for assembling the crostinis exactly. I just broiled the bread for a few minutes. Then, put the onions and cheese on. Then, broiled again. I like to crisp up bread under the broiler rather than in an oven, because it toasts the top rather than the whole piece. Just my pref.


I also wanted to melt the cheese.


These actually went great with the Shrimp Bisque. They were almost better together than apart.


I think the onion mixture needs more anchovies. Are you scared of anchovies? They are so good. Hairy fish....yum!


Last thing, I only used one onion. It was plenty for an entire baguette.




Caramelized Onion Crostini

by For the Love of Cooking


2 tbsp butter

1 tsp olive oil

2 onions, sliced

6 anchovy fillets, chopped

1 tsp thyme

Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

1 baguette, sliced

1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced in half

Asiago cheese, shaved


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, anchovies, thyme, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are sweet and golden brown, about 20 minutes. While the onions are cooking, slice the baguette, then coat each slice with a bit of olive oil cooking spray. Place in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.


Top each baguette slice with a bit of caramelized onions, some shaved Asiago and an olive. Enjoy.


(Servings: 4-6, Prep time: 45 min., Cook time, 10 min., Difficulty: Easy)


Printable Version

No comments:

Post a Comment