Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cream Biscuits



Tonight was leftover remix. That is the positive way of looking at it. Really, I just threw together some leftovers from the past few weeks (some I had froze). However, I did make some fresh biscuits to accompany an otherwise totally lame meal. I mean, it wasn't so bad. The biscuits were very nice, though.


This is a smitten kitchen recipe. It is SO easy. Not a lot to fuss about. Even though I do love butter, I don't like when biscuits (or anything) are too buttery. 80% of what I like about butter is the creamy texture. That is why I really like this recipe, because it isn't overwhelmed with butter. They are amazing with butter spread on them, though.


If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can always just wash out one of the tin cans in your recycling. Hey...there is a true benefit of recycling! Right? You couldn't dig a dirty can out of your trash can without some concern. I always used to make my own pastry cutters out of tin cans, but I just bought a few real ones a couple months ago. They are only about $1. Also, I had to use the full 1.5 cups of cream listed in the recipe. I think, in general, doughs need more liquid at high elevation. But maybe it is the flour?



Cream Biscuits

from smitten kitchen


3 tablespoons melted butter

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the surface

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

1 1/2 cups heavy cream


Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt butter in a small pot or microwave dish, and set aside. Sift two cups flour, the baking powder, salt and (if using) sugar into a large bowl. Fold in 1 1/4 cups cream. If the dough is not soft or easily handled, fold in the remaining 1/4 cup cream, little by little.


Turn dough onto a floured surface, mound it into a ball and, using your hands, press it to a thickness of about 3/4 inch. Cut into rounds, 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Gather dough scraps and continue to make rounds. Dip the top of each round in melted butter and arrange on the baking sheet. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately, or flash freeze for future use. [Biscuits can be baked straight from the freezer, and additional few minutes baking time will be needed, usually around 3 to 5.]


(Servings: 12 biscuits, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: easy)


Printable Version


This is what we actually ate. Really random. Scot eats anything (I ate about half of mine and 2.5 biscuits). It was leftover hot crashed potatoes and asparagus from last night. The rest of the filling leftover for the chicken pot pies. Some scrambled eggs. And BISCUITS! I know, I know...it is weird. It wasn't the best thing I have ever eaten.


Also, whipped up some egg, cheese and bacon biscuit sandwiches for breakfast tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment