Saturday, February 20, 2010

Baked Fish Tacos with Chipotle Dressing



So colorful? Haha...tasted much better than it looks.


This recipe is from a recipe book my sister made me for Christmas. It is great. There are a bunch of things I want to try from it. She got most of the recipes from blogs actually! Here is a blurry picture of the baked fish taco recipe:



She is very artistic:



I was interested (and very skeptical) of trying a baked version of fish tacos. I love fish tacos. I love them with the fried fish or with grilled/blackened/etc. You will notice mine are not as yellowy/orangey as the ones in the blurry picture. That is because I used flour tortilla chips (because that is what we had). I would definitely use corn next time.


Also, I will definitely fry them next time. The baked version is nice. But, I am an all or nothing kind of girl. If I wanted to avoid frying something, I think I would probably just grill the fish. However, it is much easier to bake them. It was so easy to make. And it was pretty good.


I love the chipotle sauce. The original recipe called for light mayo and light sour cream. If you did that, this would be such a healthy/low-fat meal. And it is really refreshing.


I think next time I will also make a little slaw out of the cabbage and avocado. Something light with oil and lime juice. Maybe some cilantro?


Basically, I will make this again and make it less healthy. We had some of the famous Whole Foods homemade tortilla chips with their mango salsa:



Baked Fish Tacos

by Evil Shenanigans


4 fish filets (Tilapia)

1 cup Panko bread crumbs

1 cup finely crushed corn tortilla chips

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cumin

2 egg whites

Cooking spray or light cooking oil

8 corn tortillas

shredded cabbage (or lettuce)

1 avocado, diced into medium chunks

Chipotle sauce (recipe follows)


Chipotle sauce:

1/3 cup mayo

1/3 cup sour cream

1 chipotle in adobo, finely diced

1 tsp adobo

1 tbsp lime juice

1 tsp paprika

1 garlic glove grated

1 tbsp of grated onion


Preheat oven to 375 °F and spray and baking dish with non-stick spray (or lightly oil it). Cut fish into 2 inch fingers. Set Aside.


Combine the panko, tortilla chip crumbs, cumin, and salt in a shallow dish. Set aside.


In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until slightly frothy.


Dip the fish first into the egg whites then into the crumb mixture, making sure to coat the fish well. Set aside on a clean plate for ten minutes.


Place in singer layer in baking dish, and bake for 12-16 minutes or until the fish is golden and it reaches an internal temp of 145 °F. Time may vary depending on how thick your fish are.


While the fish bakes make the sauce and heat your tortillas, wrapped in a damp cloth, in the microwave until soft. For the sauce, combine all the ingredients (you can whisk by hand or in blender or food processor.


(Servings: 4, Prep time: 20 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


Printable Version

No comments:

Post a Comment