Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chocolate Chip Oreo Cookies

Cookie in a cookie!  I thought these were cute, so I just had to try them.  They turned out really good.  Someone on the blog I got them from, Lovin' From the Oven, said they tasted like cookies and cream.  I am not sure I got that.  But I only tried two and each cookie was a lot different because I found that the amount of Oreo in each dough blob varied a lot.  I made them for our department BBQ tonight.  There were a lot of people there so they were gone in like 60 seconds (along with the rest of the desserts).


I did adjust for altitude.  I have secretly been making cookies and not posting them to blog.  I am trying to find the perfect high altitude chocolate chip cookie recipe.  And I have been really not satisfied at all.  I have tried a few different recipes that many people claim are "the best chocolate chip cookie ever".  They do not work at high altitude.  So, I have decided I will never make another cookie recipe without adjusting for high altitude.  Every time I figure out the best adjustment, the cookies are so amazing. 
For these cookies, I added about 1-2 tbsp of water, 1-2 tbsp of flour and used less sugar (maybe 1 tbsp less).   This is all not indicated in the recipe below.  I did some research and that is what a lot of people said they were doing.  It isn't ever an exact adjustment.  And it seemed to work for these.  Unlike most of the cookies I make, these did not spread, the edges didn't burn and they were nice and soft.  

Chocolate Chip Oreo Cookies

1 stick softened butter
6 Tablespoons sugar
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
11 broken pieces Oreo Cookies
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter, and sugars until well combined. Add egg and vanilla until mixed well.

2. Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl, stir to combine. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients then stir in oreos and chocolate chips until just combined.

3. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop onto baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked, but still soft. Let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

(Servings: ~20 cookies, Prep time: 20 min., Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)

Printable Version

1 comment:

  1. OK, I am making these right now. Thx for the high alt notes! I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete