Monday, April 5, 2010

Lentil Goat Cheese Burgers with Greek Quinoa


First of all, I am NOT a veggie burger kind of girl. In fact, I have never had one (before tonight). Mostly because whenever I have come in contact with a veg-burg, they are one of those frozen things at a cookout for the vegetarians. I always feel really bad for the vegetarians in moments like that. But, I believe there isn't a food I don't like. Well, if it is made right. And if it isn't processed. I am never going to like you, cream of mushroom soup. Or you, Velveeta. What ARE you?

Sorry. I have to voice my opinion on the blog every once in a while. Anyways, these burgers were very tasty. I loved them. I think I have said before that people always think I am a vegetarian. I truly am nothing close to a vegetarian. But, I love stuff like this. And most vegetarian dishes. And most vegetarians. They are so cute, and vegetarian.

Ok, so these burgers are pretty healthy. Cara makes 4 patties from the recipe below and said each burger was about 170 calories! I made them smaller so I got 6 patties. I was a little bit worried about the Scot guy. Would this fill him up? How many burgers would it take? That is why I chose to make the hearty quinoa as a side. But, turns out, these are hearty burgers too and he was quite satisfied after 3 (they were relatively small). I was satisfied after one. That is our typical food ratio.

For the sauce, I made the honey mustard sauce that I always used to make in my college cafeteria. It is dijon mustard, yellow mustard, honey and mayo. The amounts are biggest to smallest in that order. I love it.

A few notes...I subbed a whole regular egg for the egg substitute. My quinoa was much better this time! It still took 25 minutes which is longer than what most people say. The difference this time, is I kept it covered while simmering it. Which seems so obvious now. But, it had such good texture. I just tossed mine with some sauteed zucchini, tomatoes, and feta. Greek...not really. But, feta! Kinda greek. It was tasty. I am into the quinoa.


Lentil Goat Cheese Burgers

1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup dried lentils
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion (150gm)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large carrot, grated
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 ounces goat cheese
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (30gm)
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
1/4 cup egg substitute

Place lentils, water, and bay leaf in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf. If all of the water has not been removed, drain the lentils. Set aside and let cool. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions the onions, garlic, and carrot for 5-8 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar, increase heat to let it reduce, and then set aside until lentils are done.

Combine the lentils, sauteed vegetables, and remaining ingredients in a food processor, and pulse several times to combine. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes, or overnight.

Heat a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat. Divide the lentil mixture into four equal portions, and shape each portion into a patty. Place the patties on the skillet and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 90 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)




Greek Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
1 small zucchini, diced
1 tomato or 3 roma tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup of feta, crumbled
olive oil
salt
pepper

Combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water and good pinch of salt in small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is soft and chewy (for me it was about 25 minutes).

Preheat small skillet and add a little olive oil. Sauté zucchini for about 5-7 minutes (seasoning with salt and pepper after about 3 minutes).

Mix quinoa, cooked zucchini, tomatoes and crumbled feta. Taste and adjust seasoning.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 0 min, Cook time: 30 min., Difficulty: Easy)

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the burgers! Too funny, I could probably pass for a vegetarian myself although I am definitely not one either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've NEVER had a veggie burger??? And you're judging them?!?! Well, the veggies and myself are happy for that. I always get them when they're avail. So flavorful and tasty. Better than the nasty, rubbery cow patties they usually have at cookouts. Really, most of them are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, these were delicious veggie burgers and surprisingly filling... it is just what a growing (/grown) boy needs. Second, I don't think she was "judging" veggie burgers as a whole... she may have been judging Velveeta, cream of mushroom soup, and cookout food in general. She just hadn't experienced a good veggie burger yet (same with me), but now we have and we are hooked. Whether you prefer cow or veggie patties, the frozen cookout version is bound to be rubbery. One needs to try this recipe to get hooked.

    ReplyDelete