Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Oatmeal Raspberry Scones with Fruit Smoothies

My initial motivation for brunch was to have a multi-course meal. I soon realized that brunches are not really good for multi-course meals. But, I did it anyways because I am stubborn like that.


I was initially just going to do smoothies. Then, I was thinking there needed to be something to nibble on. Nibble. I wanted to make mini muffins or scones. And something I could make in advance. Turns out, I loved these way more right out of the oven. Shoot. That always happens. They are still good the next day. But, the next day...not so good. But, the whole point was I wanted something I could make totally ahead of time. And I didn't have oven time available for these babies the day of. Need more ovens.


Anyways, they were good. And they are really quick to make. They weren't that mini. I got 15 out of the recipe below. I cut them like biscuits, which worked nicely until I had to reshape to cut more. The raspberries kind of exploded during the reshape. It turned out fine though.


For my smoothies, I always use frozen fruit. I think frozen fruit makes for a much better consistency. Alton Brown agrees with me, so you know it has to be right. My typical smoothie is: 1 banana, ~1 cup of orange juice, ~1 cup vanilla yogurt, and fill the rest of the blender with frozen fruit. And I put everything in the blender in that order. It always blends best with the liquid on the bottom. For the brunch, I did some with all strawberries and raspberries. Some with a mixed fruit of pineapple, mango, strawberries and grapes. And some with some combo of the two.


I don't know anyone who doesn't love a fruit smoothie.



Oatmeal Raspberry Scones

from Annie’s Eats


1 large egg

1/2 cup cold buttermilk

1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats

1/3 cup sugar

1 tbsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

Pinch of nutmeg

10 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, grated on a large grater or cut into small pieces

3/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries


Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.


Combine the egg and buttermilk in a liquid measuring cup. Stir together; set aside.


Whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter to the bowl and toss. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture so that the mixture is crumbly. Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a fork just until incorporated (the mixture will be sticky). Fold in the berries just until incorporated (be particularly gentle if using fresh berries). Gently knead the dough 6-10 times, just until it comes together into a sticky dough. Portion the dough out into 8-12 scones, depending on the size you prefer, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. (A large dough scoop is a good tool, but not necessary.)


Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.


(Servings: 8, Prep time: 20 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


Printable Version

No comments:

Post a Comment