Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp and Goat Cheese




Cara! This was delicious! Scot and I absolutely loved it!!! I should probably talk to you on your own blog. I will.

This is majorly low carb (for me). In fact, Cara JUST posted this recipe. I knew I need to make it immediately, so obviously I did. But, I was also immediately concerned about the low carb-ness. For Scot. He really needs carbs. Otherwise, he gets crabby. And you know, the whole thing with him frantically searching the house for anything chocolate. So I just gave him a roll to sop up the juices with. It worked. For me, this was a perfectly balanced meal, as is.

And Scot really enjoyed it too.

It was pretty quick too. Except for deveining the dang shrimp. I devein both sides, and the store never has both sides deveined! Shoot!

And as for julienning the zucchini, I found two things worked. First, I tried the mandoline. Mine has two settings for julienning. It worked ok, but I couldn't use the safety guard and I was afraid for my life. Then, I tried my julienne peeler. Secretly forgot I even had it (partially because I didn't even mean to buy it, I wanted a regular peeler, but I like it now!!). It worked best and I thought the size of the noodles were perfect. Cara said she used a zester (not a microplane). Hers look really nice. Mine are various sizes and shapes, but I still loved how they tasted.

Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp & Goat Cheese

1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves minced garlic
12 oz raw shrimp, thawed, peeled, deveined
freshly ground salt & pepper
14oz can diced tomatoes
pinch of crushed red pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
400gm grated zucchini (from about 3-4 zucchini)
2 oz goat cheese

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the shrimp and garlic. Cook the shrimp for about 1 minute on each side, until just opaque. Remove the shrimp from the
pan. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and basil. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and saute over medium heat until slightly softened, about 3 minutes, then add the shrimp and heat through, about 1-2 minutes more. Serve with crumbled goat cheese.

(Servings: 2, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 15 min., Difficulty: Easy)

4 comments:

  1. Your pics are beautiful!! I'm glad you liked it :) I know how un-fun it is to devein shrimp so I actually go out of my way sometimes to buy frozen shrimp at BJ's - it always comes deveined already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm making this right now. and i'm very excited about it. i had to cut the zucchini by hand bc i don't have any of those tools you weer talking about. but it smells really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, i hope you liked it!!! let me know how it goes! i hope the texture of the noodles is still good. i was thinking this would be really good with spaghetti squash too (then you wouldn't need any tools!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bought zucchini and goat cheese at the farmer's market yesterday and i remembered this recipe while trying to decide what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete