Monday, April 19, 2010

Korean Tacos


I made a double batch of the Bulgogi (Korean BBQ beef) over the weekend.  I cooked it all up because I don't think the beef should sit in the marinade for more than one day.  The leftover bulgogi made this Korean taco meal very easy.  And I REALLLY liked these tacos.  If I had a favorite tag, I would use it.  I am going to make one.  


The tacos are made up of the Bulgogi, a Korean salsa, and a few simple toppings.  I had already cooked beef, that I just warmed up.  However, if you marinate the meat the night before, cooking it up only takes about 5 minutes because it is so thinly sliced.  The toppings take just a few minutes to chop and mix up.  One is an onion and cilantro relish (basically just onion, cilantro and lime juice...delicious).  The other is lettuce dressed in a quick Korean dressing.  The salsa takes about an hour.  I made it right before we ate it, so it was still warm.  I thought I would prefer it cold, but when it was in the taco, it was good warm too.


Korean tacos like these are becoming popular, especially in California.  I have heard lots and lots about them.  But never had them.  We don't have Korean taco vans in Boulder.  That I know of.  Please let me know if there are any in a 50 mile radius of me.

I love that these tacos don't have cheese.  I am sick of cheese.  I ate too much of it over the past month.  And I need a break.


Great for those of you suffering from seasonal allergies and who have lost your sense of taste.  Scot could kind of taste this meal!


Korean Tacos

12 small tortillas
1 lb Bulgogi (Korean BBQ beef)
1 cup Korean style salsa roja (recipe below)
1 cup onion and cilantro relish (recipe below)
2 cups shredded lettuce in a Korean sesame vinaigrette
6 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted and crushed)

Assemble tacos.

(Servings: 4, Difficulty: Intermediate)
___________________________________
Korean Style Salsa Roja

1/2 pound plum tomatoes
1/4 pound tomatillos (husked and washed)
1 cup water
1 ounce (about 20) dried chilies de arbol (toasted)
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 tablespoon garlic (grated)
1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
2 tablespoons gochujang
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted and crushed)

Roast the tomatoes and tomatillos until charred on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.

Place the tomatoes, tomatillos, water, chiles de arbol and onion into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer until the onions are tender, about 20-30 minutes.

Drain the water reserving it.

Place everything except the sesame seeds into a food processor or a blender and puree adding some of the reserved liquid if necessary.

Mix in the toasted and crushed sesame seeds.

(Servings: 2-3 cups, Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 45 min., Difficulty: Easy)
___________________________________
Onion and Cilantro Relish

1 sweet onion (chopped)
1 bunch green onions (sliced, optional)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1/2 lime (juice)

Mix everything.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 5 min., Cook time: 0 min., Difficulty: Easy)
___________________________________
Shredded Romaine in a Korean Sesame Vinaigrette

1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 lime (juice)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon gochugaru (Korean chili powder)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted)
1/2 head romaine lettuce (shredded)

Mix the dressing and toss with the lettuce.

(Servings: 4, Prep time: 5 min., Cook time: 0 min., Difficulty: Easy)

1 comment:

  1. Your Korean tacos look great! I just tried a new chicken and pineapple version that turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete