Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes


I am annoying about only a few things in life.  Otherwise, I am a peach.  

1.  Everything bagels are not allowed in our house or car.  Too messy.  Yes, they are my favorite too.
2.  I sleep really well in moving vehicles.  
3.  I do NOT like the brown candy corns or those nasty candy corn-like pumpkins.  But I love regular candy corn.  
4.  It actually bothers me that I always have helmet hair.  
5.  I can only drink my coffee when it is in about a 2.5 degree (F) temperature range.  And only about 1 hour after it is brewed.  
6.  Speaking of temperatures, I am the biggest baby you will ever meet when it comes to cold weather and being cold.
7.  Anytime I need or need to remember more than one thing, I write a list.  And I have a list to keep track of all my lists.
8.  I believe pumpkin pie should only be eaten on and in the days surrounding Thanksgiving.


There...I said it!  Who is with me?!?!

Probably no one.  But, I am 100% serious.  I love pumpkin pie.  On Thanksgiving.  Why push it?  Why ruin a good thing?  

Scot thinks this is one of the few ridiculous things about me.  Because he loves pumpkin, squash, corn, and all the fall flavors.  And he thinks its fine to have it, for example, at Christmas.  Or anytime you feel like it.   


Anyways, I love making pumpkin things.  And feel that incorporating pumpkins into your diet in any way other than in the form of pie is totally ok.  As a result, I was really excited to surprise Scot with these pancakes for breakfast this weekend.  And by surprise, you have to realize that Scot never has any idea what we are eating for any meal.  So don't be thinking I am too cute.


And these pancakes taste JUST like pumpkin pie.  Especially with the whipped cream.  They are amazing and so great for fall.  Also, this recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, which is just about what is left in the can after making a loaf of pumpkin bread.


Lastly, when Scot began eating these (still half asleep), he took a few bites and said in a soft and semi-creepy voice, "I think this is my first 10."  

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
barely adapted from Joy the Baker

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter + more for skillet
for toppings: cinnamon sugar, whipped cream, toasted chopped pecans, and/or hot maple syrup

Whisk together flours, salt, spices, sugar and baking powder in a medium sized bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, pumpkin and vegetable oil or melted butter.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Don’t worry if you have a few lumps. You don’t want to over beat the batter, it’ll produce tough pancakes.

Let the batter sit for 10 minutes while you heat the skillet. Over low-medium heat melt a tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil. Once skillet is hot, spoon a heaping 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake into the skillet. When pancake starts to bubble slightly, carefully flip over.

Once browned and cooked through place pancakes on a oven proof plate and place in the oven set at 200 degrees F to keep warm while the rest of the pancakes are cooked.

Serve with cinnamon sugar, whipped cream, toasted chopped pecans, and/or maple syrup. Delicious!

(Servings: 3-4, Prep time: 15 min., Cook time: 20 min., Difficulty: Easy)


foodforscot Ratings:

Shanon (taste):  7/10
Scot (taste):  10/10
Effort:  1/5
Dishwashing Effort:  2/5

4 comments:

  1. scot just read this and said, "the list...you missed a few things" and also said the ones i listed aren't the worst. i am not sure who i am commenting to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness. You and I are a lot alike. It is almost scary. I've banned Everything bagels too. Those little seeds and crumbs were just getting to be too much! And those pancakes...wow...now all I want to do is run to the store to pick up a can of pumpkin (and it's almost midnight) Thank you for sharing...and for all your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I apparently have much in common - though I disagree on the candy corn ;) But I'm totally like your husband when it comes to pumpkin and all the other closely related orange veggies! I think I eat pumpkin in some form or another just about every day :)

    ReplyDelete